Demi | Chapter 3

For as long as I could remember, my dreams were as clear as day and each morning I'd recall them with perfect memory. My parents had been so fascinated by the stories I'd tell them as a child every morning at breakfast, they suggested I start a journal. So my morning routine was religiously the same. I wake up, write what I'd dreamt about in one of the many journals stacked up on my overflowing bookshelf, date it in the top right margin, and then get ready for my day.

Today was not unlike the many mornings in my life, except lately, my dreams were feeling more real. I thought I could still feel the chill of the arctic igloo that'd been my home and comfort as I pulled my nightgown closer to my chest in the summer morning breeze. I thought I could still feel the frost tipping my fingers as I played in the snow. Clenching my hands into fists to keep some warmth in, I got dressed for school.

"What's the latest news about Demi's dream adventure?" Claudia asked, bumping her shoulder with mine as we met on the corner of our street. We only lived a few houses down and walked to school together each morning. She was a lifelong friend and subsequently knew everything about me. And she loved to hear about my dreams every morning, while never remembering hers.

"Nothing that exciting," I say, still remembering the sting of the ice. "I was in the Arctic, I think, living in an igloo, playing in the snow and being chased by a bear."

Claudia snorted, "You're right, it's not that exciting. Usually, you come to me with some juicy love story or an epic action adventure sequence."

I shrug as we walk. "Sorry to disappoint. I can't exactly control my dreams."

Claudia cleared her throat and said, "I've been thinking. You can refuse if you'd like."

She peeks at me with her big brown eyes widening with concern and reassurance that she wouldn't force me.

"Go on,"

"I've done some research about dreams and since yours is so memorable, you might control them." She said quickly, without taking a breath, "There's a thing called lucid dreaming. Apparently, some people can hijack their dream subconscious and control everything they see."

Claudia looked at me, gauging my reaction, but whatever expression was on my face encouraged her to keep going.

"There's a thing that says if you sleep on your back and go into a sort of hypnosis sleep-like state, you'll be able to control your dreams. I'll send you the link when I get a chance."

I mulled it over and wondered if I could be someone who controls their dreams. It was highly likely I'd be able to, considering the level of clarity I had while dreaming. I mean, I always knew I was asleep in my dreams, but to choose what happens? That would be next-level storytelling.

Considering the sheer number of journals I had - I lost count after my thirtieth book - there must be a complete novel waiting to be written. A best-seller had to be lurking in there somewhere.

"I'll think about it," I say as we enter the school gates. "I'll have a look at it between classes."

Claudia grinned, her hand squeezing my shoulders. "Not that I'm getting ahead of myself, but when you decide to do it, can that be a night I sleep over? I'd love to be the one to hypnotise you."

A part of me was also excited about trying out something new. How much could it hurt? But I hated Claudia, knew me so well.

During class I was for sure distracted by the website Claudia shared with me, I didn't hear a single word Miss Duboui said in English. The only class where we had an assignment to read a book, which I propped up so that she couldn't see that I was really on my phone. The hardest part was staying in the present enough to know when she began walking up the aisle of seats, checking in on each student.