Demi | Chapter 9

That night I eagerly got back into bed pulling the soft duvet over my body. I had a plan and all there was to it was to find this Elain person without getting caught. Kyle's files mentioned that the more we change in our world at our very whim attracts these 'Poser' agents.

I'd seen them in action, I'd seen the glitch in their suites that made them stand apart. It was more than what most lucid dreamers would've experienced. I just needed to keep an eye out for people that don't belong. That didn't entirely act like my dream world. To be honest that sounded impossible, they were clearly trained to hide among our dreams for whatever reason. To feed on us most likely. Inst that what most movies depict.

I sighed closing my eyes, thinking of Elain and I drifted to sleep. The sounds of water washed over me, and I sank down floating and flowing with the current as I entered what I hoped was my last lucid dream. When I opened my eyes again, I was standing on a sandy beach. My feet sunk into the ground as another wave lapsed against my feet. It must've been early morning, for the sun had just begun to rise in a bright yellow light that reflected off of the waves.

I turned away from the stunning scenery, hoping to see Elain but she was not there, and I was alone. The beach reminded me of the countless pictures I'd seen online when I searched the internet for my escape from England's piss-poor weather. There was a little shack though on the tree line bordering the beachfront. I walked towards it, hoping against all odds there was someone there drinking a mojito with a little umbrella decorating the glass.

I opened the door, it creaked a little as if in surprise to be opened. There was no one there besides a lonely bartender wiping at already clean glasses. I sighed, but it was too nice for me to turn away from at the moment, so I sat on the bar stool.

"One Pina Colada please," I said to the bartender and I watched as he silently mixed a few ingredients together and then brought the shaker out.

When he was done, he gently placed the drink beside me. I thought about how nice it would be to have a band and some dancers here to fill the place with joy. Then in an instant, they appeared, filling the tiny shack with noise, laughter and dancing.

I looked around, tapping my feet to the beat as I watched the partygoers writhe and jump in time. My eyes were pulled away from the dancing when the shack door opened. I strained to see who'd walked in, but the crowd of people poured over from the dance floor blocking my view in a weirdly syncornised form. I got up from where I sat, pushing through the people then I realised I could will them away.

With a snap of my fingers, the crowd dispersed leaving a woman standing across from me with a shocked look etched on her face. I'm sure mine mirrored hers as I realised it was the same woman who'd kicked me out of my dream. She wore a yellow flowy beach dress and brown sandals, her hair curled around her face and it loosely flowed down her back.

I swallowed suddenly feeling a little nervous.

"Are you Elain?" I asked, and the music eerily stopped.

She sighed heavily, her head dipping in disappointment as if she knew this conversation was inevitable.

"Yes," she walked to the bar, and as she passed me the scent of sweet flowers followed her. "I am, that must mean you are at least somewhat aware of what you're doing."

I followed her to the bar and sat down on the stool.

"Not really," I paused, "How did you know to come here?"

Now that I thought of it, how exactly did the dream world work? Could I summon whoever I'd like to see that night and they'd appear?

She cocked her head to the side as she contemplated, probably thinking of a way how to me without telling me. That's usually what the adults around me did.