24 | Jan 27th

Flashback

"Mathematicians please! Hurry in!" Mr Pemble, our seminar tutor, announced taking a quick glance down at his watch s he ruffled his wild, strange grey hair

"From next week, if you turn up late after five minutes I'm turning you away which will add to an unauthorised absence. Call it unfair, I don't care. Latecomers, you're disrupting valuable teaching time. Be here on time."

Just as Mr Pemble finished talking, the doors opened then slammed shut ungraciously. The latecomer wore a long parka dark grey Nike jacket, the material drawing attention to himself and he hung his head low like he was ashamed. He moved his headphones behind his ears and held his hand up Mr Pemble's way in apology before he strolled into the left side of my aisle.

He took his seat leaving one seat between us as he discarded his jacket and headphones. Only his black Champion woolly hat and his bright pink hoodie that draped over his head remained.

I love when guys wear pink.

I lean over making sure to keep my voice down. "Hey you probably missed what Pemble was talking about." I began.

Mr Pemble carried on with the seminar but the silence remained between us as pink-hoodie-guy remained focused on his own task.

"Excuse me? Hi."

He continued to ignore me and unabashedly, I continued.

"Do you do maths? It's just I haven't seen you in any of the other lectures or workshops."

"You talking to me?" He looked up at me briefly but I knew he wasn't paying attention when he set his eyes back down to his workbook.

I wasn't one to toot my own horn, but when guys looked at me they'd keep looking. So I was quite surprised when I wasn't afforded that compliment.

"You're the only one sat next to me. Who else would I be talking to?" I continued.

"Dunno, you girls are tapped like that." I gawk at his bluntness and compose myself.

It's only 10am. Don't let a guy dictate your day I told myself.

"So are you a maths student or not?"

"Nah. Architectural engineer student."

"What're you doing here then? Shouldn't you be drawing something?" I scoffed, crossing my legs.