Chapter 26.- Fragile

A physical encounter was not a part of his plan... He supposed that after the incident, perhaps Sallow would go after him, which would have given room for the plan to advance swiftly. What he had not contemplated was Beaumont's own watchdog jumping at him. What was his name? He couldn't remember. He was not important, after all. Just another pawn to be moved.

V had seen him in her mind, too. He didn't pay enough regard into it, but... V couldn't avoid but notice the instances in which she would attempt to converse with him. How her breath caught in itself as his hand rested in the line of her waist, and soft music played in the background. How her violet eyes repeatedly searched for his but failed in the attempt.

As his face was being stroked, V felt no pain, nor did he attempt to fight back. Instead, his eyes remained open. He could not help but analyze the individual almost sitting in his chest. He stared at his smoky gray eyes. V had silvery gray ones. His tanned and even skin. V's complexion was rather pale and faded. How V's ashy silvered locks seemed insignificant in comparison to this figure's golden-brown ones...
Of course, it was of no matter what V looked like compared to him... He supposed it was only harmless curiosity. Nothing more.

Nothing more.

Not like it matters... It does- It does not matter at all.

After the events that had transpired at the first task, and the part he played in it, he was sure violet eyes would not be meeting him again. He had made his nature known. And now she knew that he was a rabid dog that would bite on command... That is who he is. What he is. And now she knows...

He supposed she had already surpassed her usefulness. And now, he was rid of her... For good.

The bones in his body ached as his bare hand came in contact with the freezing handle. Gone. The music room was dull and dreary. Deficient. Gone for good.

A sudden noise caught his attention.
The loudness of his thoughts had prevented him from noticing the contrasting tune coming from his usual spot.

And then he saw her...

The mirage of her figure occupied his usual spot. Yet, it was no figment of his mind.
You should not be here. Not after you have seen what I am capable of.
Her presence within reach. Here. Real.

Why?

Despite the amplitude of the bench, she perched on the edge of it: Leaving enough space for something- Someone else...

An enticing and slow strain floated from the key instrument. Without realizing, he had already walked a few paces towards her. He stumbled. The loud voice always reminding him of his servitude and obedience called for him. Yet, the words were muffled and quieted down by the ring of the notes.

Why?

The last few paces were left behind as he took seat beside her silhouette. Why?
She didn't utter a word. Instead, her fingers tentatively grazed a few notes that arranged into a soft melody. An invitation.

Stillness. He hesitated; both of his hands rested on his lap.

She repeated the notes slowly, carefully adding a few more. He gulped, his palm staggeringly reaching for the graver keys. As soon as his fingertips came in contact with the smooth yellowish keys, her melody swiftly built into something more. His reddened knuckles contrasted against his porcelain skin as he gave in to the melody.

The room was instantly filled with euphonious music. Two sets of hands dancing around one another, yet not once meeting. Every time he reached for a certain key, it seemed imminent for their fingers to collide with one another. They never did.