TWENTY-ONE

IT WAS THE NEXT MORNING, GLENN HAD TOLD EVERYONE ELSE ABOUT the walkers in the barn. Breakfast had been abandoned as they all made their way down to the barn and when they found out Glenn was right, Josie noticed the anger in Shane's eyes.

      "You cannot tell me you're alright with this," Shane said to Rick.

      "No, I'm not, but we're guests here," Rick replied. "This isn't our land."

      "This is our lives, man!" Shane snapped, raising his voice.

      "Lower your voice!" Glenn hissed.

      "We can't just sweep this under the rug," Andrea said.

      "Sure, we could," Josie shrugged.

      "It ain't right, not remotely," Shane said. "We either gotta go in there, we gotta make things right, or we gotta go. Now, we have been talking about Fort Benning for a long time."

      "We can't go," Rick replied.

      "Why, Rick?" Shane asked. "Why?"

      "Cause my daughter's still out there," Carol replied.

      Shane was quiet for a moment, trying to find the right words to say. "I think it's time we all start to just consider the other possibility."

      "Shane, we are not leaving Sophia behind!" Rick snapped.

      "I'm close to finding this girl," Daryl spoke up. "I just found her damn doll a few days ago."

      "You found her doll, Daryl," Shane replied. "That's what you did, you found a doll."

      "And what have you done?" Josie remarked sarcastically.

      "You don't know what the hell you're talking about!" Daryl shouted.

      "Hey, look, I'm just saying what needs to be said here!" Shane retorted. "Now, if you get a good lead, it's in the first forty-eight hours, after that it don't matter!"

      "Shane, stop!" Josie shouted.

      "Let me tell you something else, man!" Shane continued. "If she was alive out there, saw you coming, all methed out with your buck knife and geek ears around your neck, she would run in the other direction!"

      Daryl then lunged at Shane, but both Josie and Rick got in between them. Rick pushed Shane back as Josie placed her hands on Daryl's chest, trying her best to keep him back.

      "I'll beat your ass, man!" Shane threatened Daryl.

      "Shane, would you shut up?!" Josie asked.

      When they both finally calmed down, Shane walked away but Rick called out for him. "Let me talk to Hershel, let me figure it out."

      "What're you gonna figure out?!" Shane shouted, charging at Rick.

      "Enough!" Josie yelled, stepping in front of Shane and placing her hand on his chest to keep him away from Rick.

      "If we're gonna stay, if we're gonna clear this barn, I have to talk him into it," Rick explained. "This is his land!"

      "Hershel sees those things in there as people," Dale spoke up. "Sick people. His wife, his step-son..."

      "You knew?" Rick asked.

      "Yesterday, I talked to Hershel," Dale replied.

      "And you waited the night?" Shane asked.

      "I thought we could survive one more night," Dale replied. "We did. I was waiting until this morning to say something, but Glenn wanted to be the one."

      "The man is crazy, Rick!" Shane said. "If Hershel thinks those things are alive... NO!" he shouted that after Rick tried to talk him down.

      Suddenly, the barn doors started to shake and rattle. Josie pushed Parker behind her as everyone stopped arguing and backed away, then they left the scene, not wanting anything to happen if they stayed.

      Josie watched as Carol and Daryl went into the barn and then she heard shouting. Her eyebrows furrowed, looking down at Parker then back up and saw Glenn.

      "Hey, Glenn?"

      "Yeah?" Glenn asked.

      "Will you take Parker back up, please?" Josie asked.

      "Yeah, of course," Glenn replied.

      "Thanks," Josie nodded.

      The brunette walked towards the barn, seeing Daryl stumbling out of it, clutching onto his side. She quickly ran over to him, placing her hand on his shoulder.

      "You okay?"

      "I'm fine, just leave me be," Daryl replied as he shoved past her.

      Josie furrowed her eyebrows again, looking over and seeing Carol in the barn. "Carol, is everything okay?"

      "I told him he should stop looking for Sophia," Carol replied. "He's already hurt and I don't want him getting hurt any further."

      "That's understandable," Josie nodded. "Come on, let's head back. He'll get over it soon."

      Josie wrapped her arm around Carol's shoulder as they began to make their way back up to their camp.