FORTY-SIX

"FIELD'S FILLED WITH WALKERS," RICK ANNOUNCED WHEN HE returned from his watch, sending Maggie out to take over. "I didn't see any snipers out there, but we'll keep Maggie on watch."

      "I could get up in the guard tower," Daryl suggested. "Take out half them walkers, give these guys a chance to fix the fence."

      "Or we use some of the cars to put the bus in place," Michonne proposed.

      "We can't access the field without burning through our bullets," Hershel pointed out.

      "So we're trapped in here?" Glenn asked. "There's barely any food or ammo."

      "We've been here before," Daryl replied. "We'll be alright."

      "That's when it was just us," Glenn snapped. "Before there was a snake in the nest."

      "Are we gonna go through this again?" Daryl asked tiredly.

      "Guys, not now," Rick interrupted.

      "Look, Merle's staying here," Daryl said. "He's with us now, get used to it. All y'all."

      Josie watched as Daryl jogged up the stairs before she turned to face Glenn and Rick, she sighed when she saw the look on Glenn's face.

      "Seriously, Rick?" Glenn whispered. "I don't think Merle living here is really gonna fly."

      "I can't kick him out," Rick replied.

      "I wouldn't ask you to live with Shane after he tried to kill you," Glenn pointed out.

      "Merle has military experience," Hershel said. "He may be erratic, but don't underestimate his loyalty to his brother."

      "Yeah, or Daryl's loyalty to Merle," Josie muttered.

      "What if we solve both problems at once?" Glenn asked. "Deliver Merle to the Governor? A bargaining chip. Give him his traitor, maybe declare a truce."

      Josie walked away and grabbed one of the rifles, knowing this wasn't her conversation. The brunette left the cell block and went outside, seeing Maggie keeping watch.

      "Hey," Josie said, getting Maggie's attention.

      "Hey, Jo," Maggie replied, smiling at her.

      "You can go in," Josie said. "I can't be in there right now."

      "All right," Maggie nodded as she got to her feet. "You gonna be okay?"

      "Yeah," Josie replied.

      "Okay," Maggie said, resting her hand on her shoulder before she entered the cell block.

      Josie sat down, taking Maggie's spot and setting the rifle against the chain-link. She looked through the scope, taking out a few walkers in the field before someone else walked out.

      The brunette looked over her shoulder, seeing Daryl standing there. Josie gave him a small smile as he sat down next to her.

      "I'm sorry for leaving," Daryl said.

      "Don't be," Josie replied. "It was your brother. I would do the same if it was mine."

      "Has Rick been like this ever since I left?" Daryl asked.

      "Yeah," Josie replied as she looked through the scope again. "It's gotten bad. I'm worried about him."

      "He'll be fine," Daryl said.