FORTY-FIVE

JOSIE AND GLENN HAD ARRIVED BACK FROM THE TOMBS, Carl had opened the door for them as they made their way into the cell block.

      "We barely made it in, there's too many of them," Josie announced. "The tombs outside of the boiler room are overrun again."

      "We're wasting time," Hershel said. "The Governor's supposedly on the way and we're stuck in here with walkers."

      "For the last time, running is not an option," Glenn said, his temper rising again.

      Josie placed her hand on his shoulder to try and calm him down before she turned towards the others. "We've been through this. All winter we were out there foraging, savaging, barely making it. But here, we stand a chance. This can be our home if we just put in that little effort."

      "What if one of them herds is passing through?" Axel asked. "Or settled? We can't handle that with just the few of us."

      "You're right, but what happens out there?" Josie asked. "A herd passes by, we're out of gas, out of food, out of energy, out of resources. What happens then? We still have the same amount of people as we do now, so what's the difference?"

      Everyone watched Josie silently and she could tell that they were considering what she was saying to them.

      "It's hard," Josie continued. "No one said it's gonna be easy, but we can make this place our home," she paused for a moment. "A home where our family lives together and is safe... together."

      She saw the look on everyone's faces and she could tell that they were agreeing, so she smiled and nodded. "So we can't make it through the prison. We just need to scout the far side of the prison, find out what's going on."

      "I'll go," Glenn offered as Josie nodded. "I'll take a car and make it quick. I'll take Maggie."

      "You sure she's up for that?" Hershel asked.

      Glenn sighed and nodded before walking off to find Maggie, hopefully to calm things down between them. Josie sighed and walked over to Hershel, resting against one of the tables.

      "We really need Rick," Josie said. "I'm not good at playing leader."

      "Well, you're doing good so far," Hershel replied.

      "Thanks," Josie managed a small smile.

      "You seen Rick?" Hershel asked.

      "The last I saw him was when he was caressing lovingly at the air," Josie replied sarcastically.

      "You should talk to him," Hershel said.

      "And say what?" Josie asked. "'I know you're seeing your dead wife, but could you just get over it and come back and lead us?' He needs time."

      "You'll be able to get through to him," Hershel said.

      "You sure?" Josie asked.

      "Yeah," Hershel nodded.

      "All right," Josie said before she walked away.

      As the brunette walked off, Glenn had rushed past her and she looked over to see Maggie with her arms crossed. Josie sighed, but shook that aside, she had enough problems to deal with already.

      Josie left the prison, her eyes searching for Rick. When she spotted him, it looked like he was talking to someone. She sighed and hesitated before walking towards the gate.

      "Where are you going?" Carl asked.

      "To talk to your dad," Josie replied. "He needs someone right now."