5. Intermission

The grand entrance, library, and conservatory hosted the filming for the first couple of days with the dance troupe members dispatched as maids or footmen during the day and practicing in the ballroom late into the evening. Between them Bethany and Kate managed to sketch the essential routes through the maze of back passages without disrupting the action. Their map was not fool- proof and Kate manage to take a wrong turn and ended up in the large kitchen. The team with the catering company had commandeered most of the workspace. In the far corner a small woman with frizzy white hair kept glancing up at the clock while filling up a tray.

She looked around franticly before focusing in on Kate, asking in a shaky voice, "Could you do us a favor love? If you've got a bit of time, could you pop this down to the Mister in the drawing room. Our Sally called in sick at the last minute you see and things are a bit tricky working around all this lot." She gestured at the cartons of supplies now clogging half her workspace.

"You will have to give me directions. I keep getting turned around in this place." Kate grinned and picked up the tray.

"Bless you. It's not hard if you just go out this door and walk right to the end of hall past the cupid's alcove. Take the first left and follow along the portrait row. Right at the end you'll find a set of double doors. Just knock, go on in, set this on the trolley and come straight back. He might not even notice you."

Kate was happy not to be just standing around waiting for the lighting to be re-set, watching the female leads preening and competing for attention from any male they found attractive. Their haughty attitudes toward anyone in a servant's costume made Tony's nickname for them make more sense. They had Bethany close to tears with their mocking demands until Kate consoled her with the make-up artist's assessment. The male leads were little better, only Phillip seemed to take notice of the extras but after what she had overheard about his frequent conquests, his teasing attention seemed a bit predatory.

She shrugged off her negative thoughts and took more notice of her surroundings. The grey stone of the entry gave way to creamy plaster walls with oak wainscoting, catching rainbow tones from the stained glass at end of the hall. The row of family portraits included proud military poises, favored mounts, ethereal young girls, and one of the ugliest women Kate had ever seen. She stifled her snort of surprise at the grim visage peaking out from under a deep brown cowl and hurried to complete her mission.

Kate deposited the tray as instructed, hoping to make her escape without notice but as she turned, she was startled by the large portrait beside the double doors. The woman's almond-shaped hazel eyes, full lips, and rich brown hair with distinct blonde streaks, were all unnervingly familiar. She took step forward to read the name plate on the ornate golden frame.

"It's a Renyolds, if you are wondering," a smooth voice announced from behind her.

"Thank you. I hope you enjoy your tea, Sir." Kate bobbed her head and rushed to the door. She paused for another quick glance at the portrait.

"Hold up. Who are you?" A well-build man in a grey Dior suit rose from one of the tall-backed leather chairs and scowled at her.

"I'm just one of the extras with a bit of time to help out your kitchen staff but I best be getting back to the shoot," Kate blushed, did a half-curtsey then zipped away down the hall.

William Wentworth, the 8th Earl of Havershold, took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. It must have been a trick of the light, or a side effect of spending far too long trying sort out the family history, he mused over his tea. Otherwise, Lady Kathleen's spirit may have just found her way back to the home that had expelled her generations ago. The manor had any number of past heartaches and scandals which might spawn restless spirits but he expected there would be a more prosaic explanation for a familial doppelganger. He shrugged and went back to the notes for the afternoon's video-conference with his investment advisors.