8. Rondo

"Tell me it's working. They have at least talked." Sarah-Anne's voice came barely above a whisper over the phone.

"It's complicated. Their waltz was heavenly, they didn't even need a second take. But Kate didn't buy Daniel's explanation, and he wasn't smart enough to start with an apology. He seemed stung by her reaction but didn't stay to sort it out, just rushed off to comfort our leading lady in her time of need." Bethany said.

"Don't be mean. Liz Clayburn has enough experience not to be easily rattled. It has to be bad if it spooked her. Daniel's just being a friend and you know it." Sarah-Anne cautioned.

"Well, he and Liz seem more than friendly these days."

"Come on, we both know their publicists cooked it all up. We know from the books their characters will be hooking up by the end of this series." Sarah-Anne sounded completely confident.

"I don't know. Devlin says there's big revisions underway. A whole new character arc."

"Just why would Devlin Kain be sharing plot changes with you. What's going on? Do I need to come there and straighten him out?"

"No. Not really. But we're getting held over for another week so if you wouldn't mind bringing some stuff down for us, we could meet at the train station in Swindon. Do you think you could swing it? I'll text our list." Bethany's words tumbled over each other but they ended the call without settling anything.

Meanwhile Devlin and Phillip were trying to stage their own intervention with Daniel. He had been surprised how strongly they sided with Kate's recommended delay.

"I know you would like to act the hero for Liz but get a grip man." Phillip opened.

"What does the production company pay the security team for, if not to deal with threats." Devlin seconded.

"Don't you get it? The sooner we catch this guy, the sooner we can get back on schedule, and this is our best shot to flush him out." Daniel said crossing his arms.

"What makes you so sure this will work? I mean those letters could have come from anywhere." Phillip insisted.

"No, there were details that made it clear the creep has been watching us all pretty closely. What really spooked Liz was them knowing which costumes she was wearing each day."

"So closer than anyone would like, but why are you involving yourself? Liz has layers, and layers of security now, and I can't imagine anyone getting past Kate's canine protectors. Those dogs could easily tear a man apart." Devlin shivered.

"We heard about you getting caught out in the gazebo." Phillip laughed and slapped Devlin on the back. "I can offer you my trailer while I am busy in the village, unless you go for the extra al fresco excitement."

"Don't be crude," Devlin muttered. "Bethany was mortified."

"Be careful with her. I know she has a sophisticated sort of act but she isn't much older than Kate." Daniel said.

"She's an adult and probably wouldn't approve of you going all big brother over her, or any of the other girls. We sure don't," Phillip said.

Daniel frowned at the leader of their little group and clenched his fists. Devlin reached over and patted his leg.

"I understand your concerns," Devlin said quietly. "Just make sure you don't take any unnecessary risks -- I don't want to have to re-do all those ballroom scenes." His admission got them all laughing.