Chapter 17: The Oath

The boy in his arms was shaking.

Wren made a calming sound in his throat and took a deep breath.

He didn't smell it before. It was hiding under the dirty, unwashed smell and the fear.

They were not human. Wren took another breath and picked up the smell of sickness.

Wren hasn't had many dealings with werewolves. They have an intricate culture that takes care of its own, much like dragons.

It is almost unheard of for young werewolves to be alone instead of with a pack.

The witch was rocking the young boy as he broke down.

These warmlings were his now. He wouldn't let the witch send them away.

"Alright," the witch said as she wiped the tears off the boy's face before standing up. "Let's get you two inside and figure out how to take the cuffs off."

Wren picked up the delicate wrist of the boy in front of him. He carefully slid his fingers between the metal and his skin.

The boy flinched. His skin was burned and peeling, Wren moved as gently as he could. He got a good grip on the cuff from opposite sides and gave it a firm tug.

The silver band broke easily. Pure silver wasn't a strong metal but could still hold a werewolf captive. The boy's wrist looked worse without the metal covering. He eagerly brought his other wrist up. When both wrists were free he smiled up at Wren. It was like the sun peaking around the clouds after a storm. He had a little gap between his front teeth.

Wren felt something settle deep in his bones. Mine

This child was his. He'd only known him for a few minutes but Wren would already kill for him.

The witch brought over the younger brother. He was still shaking against her, tears steak on his dirty face. But his eyes met Wren's and they were full of fight. The honey-brown eyes that were too big for his face stared him down without an ounce of fear.

Wren gave the boy a sharp grin. This one was his too.

—-------------------------------------------------------

The witch had the boys settled at the kitchen counter. Their little fit dangled from the tall chairs. They were scarfing down hastily made sandwiches while Wren and the witch watched from several feet away.

The witch was fluttering around like a nervous songbird. "What are we going to do ?"

Wren shrugged. That was easy. "Keep them."

She flapped her hands around. "We can't just keep kids!"

He opened his mouth but she continued.

"What about school?"

Wren didn't know much about what school was. "Then get them school."

"They're going to need paperwork!"

He didn't know what paper had to do with anything but the decision was already made. "They stay."

The witch was finally still. She looked at the boys. "How'd they know to come here?"

That was actually a good question. If they could find her, would their dad be able to?

They stood on the opposite side of the counter. The witch gave both boys a cup of lemonade.

The older boy, who introduced himself as Gael, was urging his brother to eat more of his sandwich.

"Gael, how did you know to come here." Her voice was soft and sweet.

Not unlike a siren.

Gael chewed his food. "I'm not sure. I just knew."

She leaned forward on the counter and smiled at him. "Can you explain it a little better so we can understand?"

Gael took a drink and nodded. "I finally got us free. I took my dad's keys and we were in the car. I didn't know what to do I just wanted to be somewhere safe."

The witch reached over and brushed his hair away from his eyes.

"I started drivin' and I just knew where to go. I don't know how to say it but at each turn, I knew the way to go. Like I was bein' pulled here. "

The witch had a stupid look on her face.

Wren tilted his head back and laughed. The other three were startled.

"You!" He said between laughs, pointing a talon at the witch. "You did this!"

She looked even more dumb and confused.

He laid his hand over his heart and softened his voice to mock the witch. "I swear that every magical creature is safe in my woods."

" I promise to protect anything in my forest because I'm a fucking idiot. "

He watched her face as she made the connection.

"You made an oath with your magic and with your blood."

He felt vindicated when her jaw dropped slightly.

"You have to keep them now, stupid little witch."