Chapter 21: I Can Give You Peace

The next couple of weeks were an adjustment period. Massie was alone. Then she had Wren for a short time, which wasn't that difficult of a transition. He mostly growled and kept to himself.

Much like a stray cat that got lured in.

The boys were a much bigger transition. They were loud, messy, and hungry all the time. Her trips to town increased.

Their personality started to shine through. Gael was stubborn, an impossible force to be moved. Jace met that stubbornness ferociously. He was quick to anger, he would yell and stomp his feet. Most of the time, after he stomped and threw his fit, he could concede to Gael.

They were also unbearably sweet and broken. They would flinch at sudden movements from Wren, cower when he raised his voice or it took on a nasty tone.

Wren noticed and adjusted his voice and movements. He moved intentionally around the boys, offering them easy and safe affection. He spoke to them in soft tones that made her feel warm and gooey feelings.

Jace and Gael ate up any positive attention like thirsty plants. They were sunflowers tilting towards the sun.

Gael was responsible to an almost concerning level. He wanted more and more chores. He wanted to earn his keep.

The first time she saw him lose his temper was when she enrolled them in an online school. Gael was adamant that he should help the household, instead of school.

Massie patently reminded him that he was 11. His role in the household was to go to school.

Her brother quickly sent any documentation she would need to enroll them in an online school. She didn't ask questions on how he got it.

She bought two laptops from an older lady in town who was selling them. Her grandchildren don't visit like they used to.

Jace was ecstatic to be learning again. He scored above grade level on his placement test and spent hours doing lessons a day.

Gael planted himself in front of his computer, arms crossed, and refused to take the placement test. Massie brought him tea and cookies while he pouted. Wren sat next to him, his wing against Gael's shoulder. A steady presence.

Gael scored below grade level. His face was shameful, his eyes full of angry tears. Wren shrugged.

"That computer does not determine you're worth."

Massie hugged him and told him she was proud of him.

Wren became curious about using the internet. He had a basic understanding of technology.

" I know what the internet is, little weed. I don't need your help."

She did most of her work on her tablet, so she gave him her old laptop. She nudged Gael in his direction and they spent time side-by-side on the laptop.

Wren listened intently whenever either boy talked and never dismissed what they said. He took direction from them a thousand times easier than he took direction from her.

—-------------------------------------------------------

Massie was making biscuits for dinner. The repetition of rolling and molding the dough was soothing. Even though there was a spring chill in the air, the front windows were open. The sound of the boys playing in the yard could be heard from the kitchen.

She had picked up some old gym balls and equipment from a garage sale during her last trip into town.

She could feel it when Wren entered the kitchen. Even when she couldnt hear him, she could feel him. His magic no longer thrashed against hers. Their magic existed together, not touching or entangling, just taking up the same space. She could feel his presence and she knew he could feel hers.