Chapter 39: Lin Yuxiu's Married Life

"Why has it increased so much?" Cheng Songer pretended to be surprised.

In fact, there was no fluctuation in her heart. Sure enough... food prices started to rise again, and they became more and more fierce. It seems that she really did the right thing in hoarding food. If she didn't get rid of it in time, she would really lose money if she bought it now.

"Of course." The butler smiled proudly: "You also know that the harvest has not been good in the past few years... How much do you plan to buy? I may be able to give you a penny or two cheaper."

Cheng Songer looked embarrassed and said, "Butler, you are too flattering to me. You know my family's financial situation. How can I afford such expensive thick noodles? Fortunately, I still have a few kilograms of rice at home. I'd better tighten my belt and hold on for a while, maybe it will be fine when spring comes next year."

"Haha," the housekeeper raised her eyebrows and smiled: "I'm afraid next year..."

'You can't afford it now, and you won't be able to afford it in spring.' The butler thought to herself.

"Forget it, if you can't afford it, then you can't afford it... It's a waste of my good intentions. I have to buy glutinous rice sticks from my new uncle. I borrowed them." Seeing the shabby look Cheng Songer made, she felt even more superior, she rubbed her shoulder and left.

Cheng Songer smiled and gave way to her.

Watching the housekeeper leave, Cheng Qingzhi pulled her sleeves and whispered: "That housekeeper's words make people uncomfortable. She looks down on you."

Especially the contemptuous tone in her tone always made people feel like they were being looked down upon. Especially when Song'er deliberately acted inferior in front of her, he felt panicked.

"It's okay." Cheng Song'er said with a smile: "Sometimes it's better to be looked down upon by others. You don't have to be too sharp."

In front of the villagers in Chengjia Village who bullied the weak and feared the strong, she naturally had to toughen up. But when facing someone like the housekeeper, you have to be humble and act respectful, fearful, and flattering, so that the other person can relax their vigilance and get information out of the other person's mouth.

The price of food in the village has always been lower than that in the city. Now even the landlord's thick noodles sell for 30 yuan per catty. It is not difficult to imagine what the scene is like in the city now.

"Let's go, let's continue shopping." She took Cheng Qingzhi to the market and bought two more firecrackers and a pile of red paper that she could cut into windows. Flowers are plastered on the windows.

She bought all the other things, but she couldn't find a place to buy couplets even after looking around. Even if she found those for sale, they were all empty couplets without any words on them. It was really worrying.

"Why are there so few couplets for sale?" In modern times, they would be everywhere on the streets, but why are they a rare species here?

Cheng Qingzhi pondered for a moment and said: "Maybe there are fewer people who know how to read in the village... Maybe there are more people selling them in the county. Usually everyone buys short couplets and then asks people from each family who have read books and know how to read. Relatives can help them write a few sentences."

Cheng Songer's lips parted slightly. It seemed that she really thought about ancient society so well that she had forgotten that most of them were farmers in ancient times, and only a handful of them knew how to read.

But after she traveled through time, she saw that the characters on shop signs were basically traditional Chinese characters that she was familiar with, which was equivalent to her directly mastering the skill of recognizing characters.

But...

"I can write my own couplets..."

Cheng Qingzhi looked slightly surprised: "Song'er, you can actually read?"

"..." Cheng Song'er touched the tip of her nose: "Yeah. Not counting literacy, just a few acquaintances from people who used to wander around in the city."

Cheng Qingzhi nodded: "So that's it, Song'er, you are really awesome."