(08.) 𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬

✞︎

|08.|
︻╦╤─ ҉ -¨ * ‧₊˚*♡ * *” ♡. ♡

.

𝒔𝒊𝒙 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒂𝒈𝒐 𝒎𝒓𝒔. 𝑳𝒆𝒔𝒍𝒊𝒆'𝒔 𝒉𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒓𝒐𝒐𝒎.....

"I did my project on the circle of life," I say, standing in front of the class with my project on display, I could feel the weight of every gaze. My board was a mosaic of gory crime scene images that seemed to jolt my twelve year old classmates from their normalcy. I was acutely aware of how different my experiences were, how they set me apart in a room where everyone else seemed to share an unspoken sameness.

I rushed through my presentation, words tumbling out in a nervous jumble, eager to end the spotlight that made me feel so exposed. "Thank you all for listening to my presentation today," I finished, my voice barely above a whisper. The room was engulfed in an awkward silence, the kind that presses in on you, until, from the back of the class, an unexpected sound broke through.

"Woooooo yeah dead people woooo," a kid cheered, their enthusiasm cutting through the stillness. For a moment, I let myself bask in that solitary applause, a small victory in the sea of silence.

The teacher's voice, firm yet gentle, granted me permission to escape the front of the room. "You can sit down," she said, then turned to address the boy whose clapping still echoed in my ears. "What did we say about disruptions, Mr. Macher?," She chided him gently. I navigated back to my seat with a sense of relief, only to feel a light tap on my shoulder moments later.

I turned to see the source, a boy who appeared as though he could be blown over by a strong gust of wind, with his slight frame and pale complexion. "Hi, I'm Stuart, but never call me that," he said quickly, a mischievous glint in his eyes. His statement hung between us, inviting curiosity. "So, what do I call you?" I inquired, playing along with his game.

He shrugged nonchalantly, "Call me Stu." I nodded in agreement, a silent pact forming. "I'm Ashley," I introduced myself. Without missing a beat, he shot back, "I'm gonna call you Ash."

His casual decree brought a smile to my face, the first genuine one of the day. "Okay," I agreed, feeling the warmth of friendship beginning to kindle. Stu, my first friend.

Lunchtime found me weaving through the familiar sea of chatter and clinking utensils, but that day was different. That day , I wasn't bracing myself for the solitude of an empty table. Stu was there, waiting with a grin that said, 'Welcome to the crew.' He beckoned me over, introducing me to Randy and Billy, who didn't prod me with questions about my parents or the gaping absence they left behind. Instead, they pulled out action figures, launching into passionate explanations about every Marvel superhero. I didn't catch all the details, but it didn't matter; I was part of something, finally.