Chapter Two

The workshop that I shared with two other apprentices was nothing compared to what Corvin Pethra now claimed as his own. While the other apprentices' areas were organised and cleared of any mess, mine was unbridled turmoil. Where bottles were stored neatly on shelves, books stacked away from their work, and not a lick of dust was in sight, my desk was covered in scattered items. The disorder only grew as my plan to make a perfume greater than anyone had ever seen unfolded.

I caught my reflection in an empty perfume bottle and I had to halt my progress at the sight. The long, black hair that I had quickly tied up into a ponytail was bunched and knotted at the base, giving me a warning that it would be a nightmare to brush out later. My dark skin was covered in copious amounts of green glitter in an attempt to recreate what the new Head Perfumer had been working on. I looked unhinged — perhaps even on the same level that Corvin was when I first saw him.

So far, all I had managed was a tiny breath of air that couldn't dream of matching the whirlwind I had been pushed out with. I hadn't even started on the actual scent yet either. It wasn't good enough and I could already feel myself beginning to be drained of energy.

It didn't help that the constant sound of giggling from the other apprentices drove a blade into my concentration and twisted with each snort of laughter. Could there possibly be a worse distraction?

If only I had my own workshop where I could be free from interruption.

"Did you see the new Head Perfumer? When he came in with the royal guards?" Salris fanned herself with her hand, a faint blush spreading over her cheeks. "He's gorgeous."

"I didn't," Nalyn admitted, her voice wobbling on the verge of frustrated tears. "But, I did get a glimpse of him when he came out of his workshop not that long ago to get some supplies. He's so deliciously beautiful that I would just melt in his presence."

"Elvira," Salris called my attention.

The final, thin threads of focus slipped from my mind and a gust of wind sent papers from my desk flying to the other side of the room. "Yes?" One glare in their direction made their smiles vanish with fear.

"I'm sorry to hear that your promotion got taken, but we wanted to know if you've seen Corvin at all," she continued. "We really want to know what he's like."

Nalyn nodded in agreement. "How attractive is he? We've only ever seen him from afar."

"He's... attractive." It wasn't a lie. If anger hadn't been controlling the reins of my thoughts and actions, I might have swooned over him a little too. "But he's also infuriating. The only thing truly attractive about him is his perfumes."

Salris rolled her eyes. "Another position will come around, Elvira. It just might not be for a while."

How long was a while? That could be months or even years. It wasn't fair that he got to snatch everything from me without even lifting a finger.

"You'll get that promotion soon!" Nalyn cheered with an encouraging smile. "We all know it!"

"Thanks," I replied as I collected a notebook, tucking some scent strips inside, and a pen. It was impossible to work with both of them chatting away like there was no tomorrow. Their own perfumes still sat on their desks untouched. They might still have been water.

"Where are you going?" Salris prompted as she eyed me gathering my belongings.

"To do some research for my perfume." It also wasn't a lie.

The two apprentices had mentioned Corvin had left his workshop to get some supplies. What were the chances he was still gathering them now? Perhaps I only needed a nudge in the right direction to refine the magic control I had witnessed. If Corvin had left his notebook unattended, it would be the perfect chance to flip through the pages. Just for curiosity's sake, of course. If I happened to pick up a guiding hint as to how he focused the magic in his work, that would be a wonderful added benefit.