Chapter Three

All of my efforts — staying up until only the stars kept me company and rushing back to the Velux Emporium when dawn broke through the horizon — hadn't gotten me very far. Neatly cut sapphires, rare beetle shells, and vials of seawater sat in front of me for me to extract the colour from and they worked like a charm. I had perfected the shade to match Corvin's perfume from the other day, but I had no clue what he planned to do with it.

My puff of smoke wasn't as grand as the Head Perfumer's was and it stained some of the area where the spray of liquid landed. However, mine had an added magical sparkle.

The constant chatter behind me died down and a loud thud replaced it, followed by a frightened squeal. I spun around in my chair at the groan of pain to find Nalyn on the ground, her face redder than a phoenix's feathers. She gazed up at the visitor leaning against the doorway, unable to form any words.

In the shaded light of our workshop, Corvin Pethra appeared to be a spy lurking in the shadows. His eyes reflected a hint of mischief and his hand reached up to adjust his white shirt. The top buttons were undone, teasing the skin of his chest.

What was he doing here of all places? Was he lost?

"There's this thing called knocking, you know," Salris remarked. While I knew her words were meant to be hostile, an essence of awe lingered behind them. She hooked her arm around Nalyn and helped her back to her seat.

"Apologies. Since Elvira here doesn't know of the concept either, I assumed it would be okay." With crossed arms, he made his way over to my desk, glancing over my work.

"Can I help you with something?" How did he even know this was the workshop where I was? Maybe all of my intrusions had circled around to bite me.

"I hope so." Corvin motioned his head to the door, his dark hair falling into his eyes. "Care to show me around the emporium a little?"

My eyes narrowed as I scanned his features for any sign of what he was up to. This couldn't be as innocent as it seemed. "I'm a little busy here. You've interrupted not one, but three people. If you don't leave, I'll have to use some forceful measures to assist you in finding the exit." It wouldn't be as fancy as a sweet, mango whirlwind, but I was sure I had something.

I didn't have the time to go on a stroll with my current least favourite person. I needed to perfect a gift for the Miracles Festival that was better than his.

Nalyn's jaw hung loose with shock, stunned by the way I was talking to Corvin.

"It will be worth your time, I assure you." He tucked his hands behind his back, surveying the rest of the room. His eyes found the shelves of perfumes above me that I had made for previous clients — each one unique in colour and effect.

"I thought you were too busy with your own perfume for the Miracles Festival?" I replied with a frown.

"A slice of my day won't make too much of a difference to my progress." His returning smile made me curl my hands into fists. So, he could interrupt others when it suited him, but not the other way around?

"Fine," I gave in, rolling my eyes. "You have half an hour of my time." Placing my ingredients carefully in a box and placing cork stoppers in each of my perfume attempts so they wouldn't spill, I proceeded to tidy my area.

As much as I didn't want to stop working, I was curious about what Corvin wanted. That was the only reason I agreed to his scheme. If it was something that could help me figure out what he was working on, I would take it without hesitation. Perhaps he was going to offer me the title and workshop he had stolen, that he was moving back to the castle to work? I shook my head to clear my thoughts. That had to be the lack of sleep talking.