Chapter 10

"You promise I'll get to stay up late tonight for my birthday?" Ryan sought to confirm as Owen led him to daycare. Their original plan was to go for the ultrasound and then take him out for ice cream and a movie, but with Amelia not answering her phone and 2PM only  an hour away, Owen wasn't so sure anymore.

"I promise," the trauma surgeon said, gently guiding the little boy by his shoulders. "And you'll get two ice cream cones too." Ryan looked up at him and grinned, nodding before rushing off to go play with Bailey and Zola. Sighing stressfully, Owen pulled his phone out of his pocket, checking for any missed calls from Amelia.

Nothing.

Venturing back towards the ER, he was met with the usual chaos. April was on the phone with someone, although Owen didn't know who. Loitering for a bit by the desk, he decided to listen to the conversation while he waited to talk to her.

"No, we can't take them," April said, "We're understaffed in neurosurgeons. Send them to another hospital." There was silence again as she listened to the person on the other line. Impatiently raising her voice, April curtly announced, "Their injuries don't matter, sir. We are not well equipped to take care of them." Silence again. "We have no available neurosurgeons right now, didn't you hear me? Send them to another hospital." She hung up the phone and huffed.

"What was that about?" Owen asked, startling April with his sudden presence.

"They wanted to send two possible neuro patients over from the car accident, but our hands are already full, Owen. Both Nelson and the doctor from Dillard are up in surgery and Ken still needs brain surgery too. We may have to put Edwards to do it."

"You're absolutely right," Owen agreed, nodding his head, "We could suffer a law suit if we bring them here and they end up needing neurosurgery. You made the right call." April nodded, relieved that her mentor agreed with her decision.

"Did they say who the patients were?" Owen asked.

April shook her head. "No forms of identification were on them. Police are searching the car for licenses and insurance papers, but the SUV was badly damaged. It rolled like three times and ended up on its side."

Owen grimaced, his heart racing more than usual. "Call them back in an hour and see if they get any information on the two victims."

"Will do," April replied.

---

"John Doe, late 30's, victim of a passenger side T-bone. BP 120/80, pulse 92, pulse ox 89. Broken rib, bruised forearm and shin, all on the left side. Broken metacarpals also on the left side. Possible concussion. He was the driver," the paramedic called as he pulled Derek out the back of the ambulance.

"Who was the passenger?" one of the two doctors, tending to Derek, asked.

"This one," a paramedic called from the back of the second ambulance, "Jane Doe, early 30's. BP 80/50, pulse 122, pulse ox 75. Bruised forearm, two broken ribs and a broken fibular, all on the right side. Possible head trauma and the patient complained of numbness in legs before losing consciousness." One of the doctors ran over to the gurney, taking a pen light out. That's when Amelia opened her eyes.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Penelope Blake," the resident greeted as she shone the light in her eyes, "Can you tell me your name?" Amelia looked at her, her eyes droopy with fatigue as she tried to comprehend what she'd just said.

"Okay, can you tell me anything?" Penny asked. Amelia did not respond. "Can you wiggle your fingers or your eyebrows for me?" No response.

"We can't take her," Blake declared, looking to the paramedics, "We're understaffed. Our on call neurosurgeon is at Grey Sloan and she's a possible neuro case."