Beneath The Surface

The founder of the Dandy Cafe was a man of few words but he had eyes to see that the young vagrant had captivated his wife's attention while he played another song. A slow melody which got Daisy to reminisce during her days on the road with the band.

She was just a teenager who was in love with a handsome sax player who smelled of cigarettes and cheap cologne. His voice, a smooth husky baritone with warm caramel orbs, auburn shaggy hair and a thin angular jawline. Daisy had an on-and-off relationship with Darrell for a couple of years.

She was the only female member of the Dandy Lions before their band name had been changed upon getting hired by business tycoon, Blaise Ray. Darrell, the frontman of the band, changed the name of the band to the Daisy Dukes to avoid copyright issues related to the Dandy brand. Despite this, Darrell kept the Dandy Lion alias out of spite.

Daisy was aware of Darrell's preferences, his lifestyle, his orientation and his identity as a free spirit and made peace with it. She accepted that fact though her heart was broken into little pieces.

Blaise was just there to pick up the pieces and offered her a proposal. He offered her stability, his heart and his life with her. Blaise Ray was a man of few words though his actions spoke volumes.

The first proposal he made to her was merely business, the next one was a union in holy matrimony. She knew that when he made a proposal, he played for keeps.

She gazed at her husband with that hopeful gleam in her viridian eyes and sang. Blaise didn't have an affinity for music like his wife does though he could tell how happy she was. It was rare for her to sing with a genuine smile on her face. Aster followed the melody of her voice and played along.

Aster was engrossed in playing the song that he hadn't heard the question until he noticed the business man approach him. “What's your name, young man?” Aster paused and stood to greet the kind businessman.

“Aster Rhodes, at your service.” The violinist removed the flat cap from his head to curtsy as a pigeon flew off, its wings flapping inches away from Blaise's face upon mid-flight.

“I would like to have a word with you.”
Aster's thick eyebrows raised quizically, unsure if he had made a bad impression with how serious his tone sounded. Blaise had motioned for the lad to sit next to him. Daisy watched how Aster lowered the instrument, sensing confusion or apprehension while her husband had asked the lad about himself.

It was a rare occurence for Blaise to take an interest in someone beyond business relations, so Daisy was curious. She wanted to listen in on the conversation though she had a hunch that her husband was testing the lad to determine if he actually was as humble as he seemed.

“Tell me a bit about yourself.” Blaise wasn't much of a conversationalist though he was a good listener.

“There's not much to tell.” Daisy had sat down on the chair and held her ukelele, strumming a few chords. “I'm just a girl that loves to see the world.”

“I've been traveling across the states,” Aster began, “trying to get my daily bread by working at different jobs is no easy feat.”

“How long have you been traveling?” Blaise asked, observing Aster's body language as the wandering violinist put the instrument back inside the case.
“For five years now.” Daisy stated, “Who knows? I was only fifteen when I joined the band.”

“For quite some time. It could be months, years?” Aster replied, “I can't really keep track of time since I don't have a watch. Perhaps I could get my own watch once I get a steady job.”
“So, what brings you here?” The entrepeneur let out a smile, crossing his leg nonchalantly.

“You are quite the curious type aren't you, Mr. Ray?” Daisy was being cheeky, trying to get Blaise flustered but to see that the gentleman was just humoring her she relented and responded in earnest. “If you must know. I was hoping to get something to eat since performing works up an appetite.”

“It's been quite a long time since I've been back home. I grew up here in St. Louis.” Aster admitted.

“What do you plan to achieve?” This question is what Blaise used to discern what intentions the person had. Their desires, their aspirations, their motives, how their minds operated. An effective method.

“I should be asking you the same question. You're the one who initiated this interrogation. Perhaps I want to rob a little of your time or to just get to know you a little more. You wouldn't mind inviting me for dinner since you're such a gentleman.” Daisy prompted.

“Anything if I set my mind to it. I plan to find a steady job, work hard and have my own place someday. I just need one chance to make it happen. If I can't find it here, I'll go wherever I need to go to get there.” Aster responded, resolute.

“Is that so?” Blaise questioned, Aster could see in his eyes that he was testing him. “You're a talented young man, but you need to look presentable for your audience.” Aster awaited what he expected to be a critique, but instead, he heard an offer. “Mr. Rhodes, I have a proposition for you.”

Daisy recognized the look in his eye, that look Blaise gave when he found what he wanted and noticed the violinist beam. “You really mean that?”
“Of course. You'd be a shoe in.” Blaise stood from the bench before his wife approached him. “That is why I would like you to join us to discuss about your audition.” Blaise then turned to look at his wife. “What do you say, hun? Would you like to introduce this young man to the band?”

“Hmm, I suppose it wouldn't hurt.” Daisy replied. Aster looked at the lady in front of him, mouth agape in child-like wonder.

“Thank you! Thank you!” Aster wrapped his free arm around the lady in a hug while he turned to shake Blaise's hand. “I can't thank you enough for giving me this opportunity.”

“Don't celebrate yet.” Mrs. Ray warned, Aster had no idea what she meant at first before adding; “you need to eat first.” It wasn't everyday that a stranger offered to lend food so he'd be damned if he didn't accept their offer.