Invitation

Aster arrive to the Dandy Cafe early, properly dressed and clean shaven as he brought his violin case, ready to audition as he awaited for the band members to show up.

He took the time to adjust the pegs and tested the sound of his violin while the customers were more focused on scarfing down their breakfast. Aster held the bowstring between his fingers and strum the chords. The sound was good, but he preferred to adjust the E chord.

There was something wrong, he could tell. He tried again and played a relaxing melody, something that could melt away the tension. The clientele paid no mind to the music, they just kept eating. Aster only played the instrument for a minute or so and stopped. He felt that there was something he forgot, but couldn't figure out what it was.

Oh yes, he skipped breakfast.

Aster left early that he didn't want his aunt to notice that he had borrowed one of his cousin's suits. Actually, it belonged to his late uncle. The dark suit was rather large for his size as the sleeve doubled the space between his wrist, it was no secret that he was as thin as a stick. The orange tie was a rushed decision since he grabbed the first accesory he could find, snatched a top hat and wore a long coat from his luggage before he made a run for it.

Now his aunt had another reason to never let him back inside the house. He just hoped that all his endeavor to find a steady job wasn't in vain.

He wanted to order the cheapest thing that was on the menu. Aster looked at the prices and the cheapest thing he could get was a bottle of water.

“I could use a bagel right about now.” Aster thought to himself before Mr. Ray stepped out of his office. Mishaal was conversing with his employer about the contacts he managed to acquire, codeword for suspects that had a hand in double dealing and was determined to find. Aster went to greet Mr. Ray when a man with glasses and vile viridian orbs gave a judgemental glance at the violinist.

“Good morning, Mr. Ray.”

The entrepeneur took a once over and recognized the vagrant by his eyes and thin frame. Mishaal's first thoughts were that the lad was a new client.

“Good morning, Mr. Rhodes. I see that you've taken my advice regarding to your presentation.” Mr. Ray commented while Aster showed a broad grin.

“Of course. I wouldn't miss the audition for the world.” Aster mentioned as he held the instrument.

“I would like to stay and chat but duty calls.” Blaise hinted for Mishaal to accompany him to the exit as Aster watched the two businessmen leave the local.

“Knowing you, I assume that you only lied just to avoid small talk.” Mishaal quickly deduced.

“Precisely. I already did my part in granting the lad a vacant spot to obtain employment. Darrell will determine if the lad fits the criteria for their group or not. Regardless of the outcome, it's no longer my concern.” Blaise stated nonchalantly before taking out a cigar and placed it on his lips, ready to smoke.

Darrell was still asleep while the band exited the apartment to get breakfast without him.

Aster had plenty of time to practice, he bought a bottle of water and drank some before he resumed to play the violin. The first song he played was the Moonlight Sonata in G minor, then he played Symphony No. 9 by Beethoven and lastly played Symphony No. 5 before he put down the instrument to take a bathroom break.

One of the musicians recognized the instrument that was left on one of the tables, a violin. As Ben, J.J. and Sy waited in line to order, Morgan headed to the bathroom. Aster was washing his hands when Morgan stepped into the bathroom and hadn't recognized him before the lad greeted him.