Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Ch. 5: I can do this

As soon as they arrived back at the dorm, Jace stole Noah's phone and called the police, giving an anonymous tip about Elijah's body in the woods. He then snapped Noah's phone in half and threw it out the window.

"Give me your phone," Mathew said the moment Jace closed the door behind him. They were alone again in their room.

"Can I put a shirt on first?" Jace raised his brow, and Mathew didn't have time to stop himself.

"No," he blurted, and the implication scorched his cheeks. Jace's evil little smirk didn't help, either. That was what irritated Mathew the most about Jace. He always knew when he was being wicked and he enjoyed it way too much.

Jace shook his head and pulled out his phone, swiping his passcode inside and then handing it off. Without a care in the world, Jace turned his back on Mathew, showing off the hills and valleys of his back muscles and the deep line of his spine.

Mathew took a breath, but then he hesitated over the phone app. The background picture surprised him. Whoever it was, she was young with a main of beautiful black curls and eyes that disappeared when she smiled. Jace was in the corner, deadpanning the camera and posing with a withered peace sign. Mathew's stomach twisted. His first thought was that this must be his girlfriend... Then, the second thought was that she could be his sister.

Mathew let it go and didn't need to find Dante's contact information. He knew his brother's number by heart.

After the first ring, Dante answered, "Jace, you're calling so soon. I'm surprised..." Hearing the calmness in his voice and saying Jace's name with ease might be Mathew's final straw. Mathew's sanity snapped.

Mathew raised his voice, "And I'm surprised I even have to call at all."

A lull passed that even made Jace pause. Glaring at Jace, Mathew motioned for Jace to get out. He just had to laugh about it first, but Jace left. Mathew locked the door as Dante finally graced Mathew with an answer, "Hello, Mathew. Well, looks like I owe Anthony twenty dollars."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"He said you would figure it out in the first week."

Mathew needed a drink. "I'm so glad you guys get to have fun at my expense." He dropped back down in front of his mini fridge and took out a bottle of blood as he quietly shouted at his brother, "Now, what do you think I was supposed to figure out? That Jace was a werewolf? Or that he's my bodyguard that you secretly sent? Do it bring you joy that you could trick me into thinking I was out here on my own?"

"That's a tall order."

Closing his eyes, Mathew tried to control his anger and took a swig of blood. "When did you find out?"

"You asked Phoebe to help you research Bellatrix. Mathew, Phoebe is on my payroll. The money you gave her is nothing compared to what I already pay her."

Mathew gawked. He knew less than he thought. "I can't believe she's your employee. She's a family friend."

"And that's why I pay her very well. I take care of our family. I thought you understood that," he said and those few words stabbed into Mathew's stomach and twisted. For years, Mathew had been on Dante's side whenever anyone tried to villainize him, but actions speak louder than words. If Mathew could trust him, he would've told Dante the truth.

His voice soft, Dante said, "These last few years have been hard on everyone. I've asked a lot of all of you, but everything I've ever asked of this family is in the pursuit of our happiness."

"I know," Mathew whispered and glanced at his window. It was still only sprinkling. "I know how much you love me. So, when do I go back?"

"You'll come back for winter break."