Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Ch. 18: your bodyguard is so hot

Mathew waited by the door like a little kid, sitting on the grand steps, refusing to go inside until he saw Dante.

"At least sit by the window inside," Jace whispered, practically begging.

"I'm fine," Mathew said, holding onto his legs as if that could hold the rest of him together. "I don't get cold."

"Must be nice," Jace grumbled and wrapped himself deeper in his coat. They could both see their breaths. They only whispered as if every conversation had to be a secret. Mathew was sure he'd make one wrong look at Jace like he was the sun, and he was the earth revolving around him, and Bianca would know. Anthony would know. They'd see the truth of Mathew's crush and report it to Dante.

And Mathew didn't want to think about what Dante could do.

Mathew glanced up at Jace, who squinted out towards the front of the estate, over the long drive framed by spindling gray trees that had lost their leaves. The grass had lost some of its life and the usual beautiful blue ocean looked as inviting as walking across broken glass. "I know Bianca said she got a hold of him, but..." Mathew said, grabbing Jace's attention. "I can't help but worry."

Jace nodded, leaning against the door. "Well, we didn't have to wait for long."

Mathew snapped his head around, spotting a black car driving through the gates and down the driveway. Mathew jumped to his feet and raced down the steps, never taking his eyes off the oncoming car. The car stopped earlier than necessary, parking to let its passenger out. Dante rose from the backseat, finding Mathew with a quizzical look.

With arms outstretched, Dante met Mathew halfway before he threw his arms around Dante. Mathew squeezed him tight enough to make his older brother wheeze. Mathew readjusted his hold over and over just to be sure Dante was here and nothing was out of place. The relief sunk into his bones better than a sedative.

"What is going on?" Dante asked, rubbing the back of Mathew's head. More car doors opened and closed behind them. Mathew smelled them. Ben's human friends. If he remembered correctly, the tall man with glasses was Lincoln and one with black curly hair was his husband, Freddy. They matched Dante's confusion, but not for the same reasons. Lincoln's jaw dropped as his eyes climbed the height of the castle.

"There's so much I have to tell you," Mathew said, leaning back, but grabbing Dante's arm. Dante didn't need Mathew's protection from anything, but it didn't mean Mathew wouldn't try.

Dante cupped Mathew's face, furrowing his brow to study him. Dante's hair had grown long enough to touch his shoulders. He let his facial hair grow out as well. The pieces of clothing underneath his long trench were simple and the kind of casual he'd wear for a day at home. He'd been too busy to take care of himself and no one was here to remind him to take for a haircut, for proper sleep, and if his eyes were any brighter, they might be red. He's not eating properly either. Mathew couldn't frown any deeper. His face would break.

Dante sighed and pulled Mathew in for another hug, rocking him back and forth.

"You sat in the backseat?" Anthony said from the top of the stairs.

"One of the humans—Lincoln," Dante corrected himself, "gets carsick."

Lincoln raised his hand. "This human has had enough for today."

"I'll show you guys your room." Anthony offered and joined Freddy by the trunk to grab baggage.

"You look exhausted," Dante said to Mathew. "Nino and Ben won't be home until late tonight. You can explain what's going on then. That way, you won't have to repeat yourself."

"But..."

"Go rest. I'm fine, and I promise not to sire Ben while you rest. Jace," Dante said his name, and Mathew steeled himself to not have a reaction. Mathew's baby hair stood as he could feel Jace approach. Mathew glanced at him but tried not to linger. When he looked away, Jace glanced at him.

icon lock

Show your support for Miss Bonnett, and continue reading this story

by Miss Bonnett
@MissBonnett
The beloved prince of vampires, Mathew didn't want a bodyguard, didn'...
Unlock a new story part. Your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.
See how Coins support your favorite writers like @MissBonnett.