Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Ch. 6: Did you hear that?

Mathew was homeschooled his entire life, but he knew when you were called to the principal's office, it was typically a bad sign. Led by the police, Mathew and Jace with a full group of guys from their dorm joined an extensive line of students, waiting for their turn to be questioned.

Mathew recognized over half of them from the party last night by what they were still wearing and the way they still reeked of alcohol. Everyone else looked like they were ripped right out of bed in their pajamas. Some people were also better at hiding their hangover than others.

Jace passed the only empty chair left, standing right beside it and motioning Mathew to sit down. This couldn't be in the job description. It was too cheesy, and who was he trying to impress? Dante wasn't even here to praise his work. Glaring at him, Mathew sat down anyway to avoid making a scene. Everyone was whispering, keeping their voices down, and Jace took out his phone.

Mathew received a text:

Jace: Mesmerize the police. Tell them we're not suspicious enough to be suspects.

Mathew glanced up and Jace was already looking at him. He nodded and pocketed his phone. He wasn't worried about Jace being the murderer, not with those vampire bites on Elijah, and especially not when Jace spent the entire party arguing with him. Mathew's phone buzzed again and checked the message without thinking.

Jace: You can also tell them I'm too cute to give a hard time.

Mathew bit down a smile, put his phone away, and turned his face away from Jace. He had twice as many reasons to be angry with Jace and hate him than to have any reason to smile for him. If this was his way of trying to get on Mathew's good side, it wasn't a trick Mathew would fall for. Jace tapped his shoulder urgently, and Mathew turned right into Jace's pointed finger like a sucker.

Mathew's jaw dropped at Jace's great big smiling face, letting out a huff. "You're so stupid."

Jace shrugged a little, obviously pleased with himself, but didn't bother Mathew again. They called students inside one by one until finally it was Jace's turn. He popped off the wall, glancing back at Mathew to whisper, "I'll wait for you."

Jace disappeared into the office, and he wasn't there for long. They let him go, and the officer called, "Mathew Darling?"

With a nod, Mathew followed the police inside. They showed him a leather armchair that faced the police and the headmaster, Stewart Wilkie.

"They're just going to ask you routine questions," the headmaster explained. He motioned towards the door. "You're free to go, if you'd prefer, but they're just general questions."

"Okay," Mathew said, glancing at the officer.

"Thank you," she said. "Mathew Darling, correct?" When Mathew nodded, she went on with her question. "Did you know the victim?"

"Yes, we were having sex," Mathew said, and all eyes pinned onto Mathew's face. It was an old trick his sister, Bianca, abused to mesmerize multiple people at once. Say something shocking and you have their complete attention.

"You questioned Mathew Darling and found nothing suspicious from his answers. Jace Wright is also not suspicious. We're both free to go."

"Thank you for answering our questions," the officer said in a daze. She took a breath, blinking the brain fog away. Mathew just sat there patiently with a smile, waiting for his cue. "You're free to go," she said.

She followed him to the door, letting him go, but not before one last comment. "If you think of anything that might help, feel free to call."

"I will."