Bullet Wounds

Episode Five: The Duel

"Lady Elizabeth!"

"Lady Elizabeth!"

The girl woke with a start, feeling Jack wake up as well.  "Mm?" Sneed was standing before them, fuming. 

"I don't believe my eyes."

The two recently awoken looked at each other, both beet red.  They didn't move.  Elizabeth noticed how his hand rested around her waist.

He quickly removed it and helped her up.

"Bye, Jack." She murmured distractedly as she walked out.

————

When Elizabeth got home, she had a quick nap and then went into the family room, where Gaines and the Governor were conversing, while Jane and Belle read. 

"No, it's not a riddle, darling. Let me speak to the engineers." Jane said while looking at her book. 

"Engineers cannot fix evil." Gaines insisted.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes.

"Have you heard from your lovely wife lately, Captain Gaines? She still visiting relatives?"

Belle snorted and Jane glared at her middle daughter.
"yes, well, thank you, Captain Gaines."

Edmund smiled as he got an idea.  "Oh, uh... Would a possible solution be to run the pipes from the centre of town into the harbour, where it will have no effect?"

The three women in the room shook their heads.  "No."

Fanny cane into the family room, her face occupied with her signature grin.  "The most exciting news. There is to be a duel in town."

Belle shook her head, flipping through a book.  "Don't be silly, duels are illegal. Not necessarily. I rather think it might be over moi. It does eliminate one possible suitor, but what does one wear to a duel? Black is foreshadowing, but green?"

Elizabeth furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

Suitor?

"Who is involved?"