Recovery

Season Two, Act One: Part One

Jack was pardoned for all of ten seconds before being dragged to the dungeon

Jack was pardoned for all of ten seconds before being dragged to the dungeon. Elizabeth wanted to run to him. To scream at the guards to stop.

Mom was supposed to free him.

She could see him trying to make his way back to her door. Her name, although not heard by the strawberry blonde, was loud and clear. She could make out his lips yelling for her.

On the inside, she was screaming for him to come back. To hold her. To kiss her. But her body didn't move an inch. She could only stare. She felt weak, useless, hopeless.

She knew she would live, but she couldn't see the end of her recovery. No one had ever survived this surgery, so a recovery time was never recorded.

She waited for what felt like hours until her mother stepped into the room.

"Your manslaughter charge was dropped. But apparently, Dr Dawkins is an escaped convict, and an accomplice in Lucien Gaines's murder."

The girl sat up in bed a little too quickly and hissed in pain.

"Careful, dear."

"What's gonna happen?" The 23 year old croaked.

Jane sighed and gently sat on the bed, taking her daughter's hands. "He had to be hanged. I'm so sorry, darling."

"No. No. No, no. He can't-.....It's not fair...." Elizabeth hyperventilated.

Jane only squeezed her hand.

Elizabeth didn't know how long she cried before her mother left, but it must have been a while.

She must fallen asleep, because when she opened her eyes, Belle was there.

"Hey." She rasped.

Belle gasped and smiled through her tears. "Hey, Liza."

"How long-"

"A day."

Elizabeth raised her eyebrows. "A day?"

Belle nodded. "I was talking with Ed, and he brought up a very good point. They have to hold tests for the new Captain back in England. Then, they had to go to training. Then, a three month journey here. Eliza, Jack won't be executed for at least a year. We can get him pardoned by then."

The strawberry blonde smiled. "You would help me?"

The older sister scoffed. "Well, yeah! And so would Fanny. We both love the idea of having a sister named Elizabeth Dawkins." She teased.

The younger of the two blushed. "Fine. Operation: Save Jack is a go."

————

1 Month Later