2. A Place In This World

Maybe I'm just a girl on a mission, but I'm ready to fly...

***

"Absolutely no!"

Those had been the exact words of my father as soon as I told him I would be moving to Maranello in less than two weeks.

My father was mad at me for being so reckless, my mother was mad at me for not thinking about the huge distance that would be between us now, my niece, Paula, was mad at me for leaving her without someone to play, and finally, my sister was mad at me for rushing such an important decision.

But, was there really something to think?

For as long as I could remember, I had only ever wanted two things: to travel and to take pictures. This job offered me both. So, as soon as I read the mail and realized it wasn't a dream or a prank, I called Georgina Bernardi and gladly accepted the offer.

Had I ever been out of New York? No.

Did I had the money to move to Italy in just a matter of days? No.

Did I speak italian? No

For fuck's sake, did I even know anything about Formula 1, besides the fact that they were racing in circles with incredibly fast cars? Hell, no.

But I would work it out.

The language? I would learn.

The world of racing? I would educate myself with my remaining time in the city.

The money? With my savings and a huge bank loan, I would solve it.

But there was nothing dragging me out from that opportunity.

I was either too brave or too stupid.

***

I hadn't realized I was afraid of planes until I got in one.

The height, the turbulence, the rush of going up. It was awful but exciting at the same time. I loved it.

After almost nine hours of flying, I landed in Rome, then I took a three hour train ride to Maranello. It had been a long trip but definitely worth it. My digital camera was now filled with pictures of beautiful southern european landscapes and architecture.

Maranello was ethereal. It was the type of place where dreams ignited in echoes of roaring engines, a symphony of passion beneath the Italian sun. Cobblestone streets whispered tales of speed and you could feel the spirit of Ferrari dancing in the wind.

In fact, I quickly learned that everyone, not only in Maranello, but the whole of Italy, loved Ferrari. It was some sort of religion, something to admire and adore.

It was almost surreal. A girl whom a week ago had nothing but a package of cigarrettes, a camera and a dream, would now be working in one of the most important companies in all of Europe.

I went straight from the train station to the headquarters. Georgina said the faster I arrived, the better. She still needed to explain to me some details, but for the little we had spoken over the phone in the last week, I was already excited.

"It's good to finally meet you in person, Aspen." Georgina said as soon as I entered her office.

"Pleasure to meet you." I shook her hand and took a seat in front of her.