8. This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Why'd you have to rain on my parade?...

***

"The checkered flag is out and Carlos Sainz wins the Australian Grand Prix! It's the first podium and first win of the season for Ferrari! What a race from the spaniard!"

Melbourne was bringing all sort of emotions to the whole team. Yes. Carlos had managed to win the race, his first triumph of the season. But Charles had finished eleventh. A place away from  the points and definitely not what he was meant to deliver.

I hadn't seen much of him since the beach photoshoot, but Charles had had a complicated weekend, to put it out nicely. He did awfully in the free practices, scoring his worst timings ever in the track, he finished P9 in qualification and now this race result.

Once again, as soon as Charles got off the car, he didn't even remove his helmet and avoided every interviewer, camera or approach. Perhaps, it was for the best, since people most likely would ask him stuff that would make him more frustrated than he probably already was. But still, the media didn't appreciate that sort of attitude.

I didn't know why. But after that day at the beach, a part of me felt more empathy towards Charles. Maybe it was because I had gotten to see a new side of him. The side that wasn't moody, drunk or flirty all the time. Instead, he had been cheerful, calm and the most real I had ever seen him be.

That version of him, I liked.

I wouldn't admit it at loud, because he still was the man that had shamelessly picked on flirting with me all the damn time. But if we needed to be friends, I suddenly felt like I could manage being more amiable with him. For Gina, and for the sake of my job.

When the podium ceremony was over, I made my way to congratulate Carlos, who's clothes were dripping with champagne and a huge winning smile was adorning his face.

"Felicidades, hombre." I gave a friendly hug to Carlos, with the best compliment in spanish that I could've pronounced as he was also celebrating with his cousin, that also happened to be his manager, Caco.

"Thank you, Aspen." He hugged me back, "Winning doesn't feel bad at all."

"Now I see why they call you Smooth Operator, that was fantastic." I said, "I'm dying for you to see the pictures I got of you in that podium."

He smiled, "I'm sure they'll be great."

"You're coming to Carlos' celebration, Aspen?" Caco suddenly asked me, "You better be, cause' I already put your name on the guest list."

"Oh, right." Carlos said before I could make any comment about it, "We wanted to have some drinks in the hotel's bar tonight. Nothing too crazy and definitely away from the cameras. And of course you're invited."

"That actually sounds nice." I admitted, "Can Mona come too?"

"Of course." Carlos said, "I was actually planning to tell her and Lando, since he finished second."

"Perfect." I told the cousins, "Now, both of you, care to join me for the team photo?"

It was accustomed for the winner of the race to take a picture with the whole team of mechanics, engineers and even some of the staff to celebrate the win, so we went to the front of the garage where they were already waiting for Carlos with a big sign with his name on it.

"Alright, everyone gather up, please!" I shouted at the crowd dressed in red.

Everyone got together, hugging each other and leaving Carlos and the sign in the very middle. But something, or rather, someone was missing.