Chapter 5

HI! They're in love, your honor :)

Kathryn was just finishing up the last of her rounds in the hospital when she spotted something rather out of sorts. It wasn't that it was altogether surprising to her—it's just that Major Gale Cleven shouldn't have been in the hospital in the first place anyhow. Especially given the fact that he had already finished up his interrogation and had helped her return Meatball to DeMarco.

She glanced at the rest of her rows of beds and frowned. Two to go; she grabbed the sheets in a hurry, making short time before making her way over to Buck, who was sitting quietly in a chair against the wall.

"Aren't you missing dinner right now?"

Buck blinked, eyes landing on Kathryn Egan standing there with a curious expression on her face. His gaze searched past her and landed on the wall and he gave a sigh. "I guess I am, yeah."

"Well why?" She questioned, shifting her position to hold the sheets more fully.

His eyes searched down the rows of hospital beds, where several of his men lay recovering from surgeries and wounds sustained from the mission. "I don't want them to be alone."

For a moment, Kathryn just stared at him. It almost unnerved him, the way that she didn't say anything at all. "They don't make men like you, Gale Cleven," Kathryn finally settled on her thoughts, giving him a small smile.

"Well I don't know about that," he ducked his head and felt a smile unnecessarily spreading across his features.

"Well I do. No one else has done what you're doing right now," Kathryn glanced at the window and she frowned. "You didn't eat breakfast either."

"Are you keeping track of everyone's eating habits?"

"Just my friends," Kathryn said pointedly. "I'll bring you something from the mess hall."

"You don't have to do that."

"No, but you don't have to sit here with them either."

If there was one thing that Gale Cleven knew, it was that once an Egan got something into their head, there was just no stopping them. No amount of arguing, no amount of talking, or convincing—nothing in the world—could stop an Egan from doing whatever the hell that they wanted.

She hadn't even been gone for a full ten minutes before she was bustling in with two bowls of soup and some bread, looking more concentrated than he had ever seen her. "You really didn't have to—"

"And this is where you thank me," Kathryn said, placing the bowl in his hands pointedly. "What will everyone think if the pilots don't eat?"

He rolled his eyes at that and realized, quite suddenly, that she had brought her own dinner too. "Kath—"

"Oh don't 'Kath' me. That's my brother's job," she said, grabbing a chair and sitting across from him.