Chapter Fifteen

Autumn

I cried myself to sleep but I get woken up by what sounds like chatter..

Sitting up in bed, I hit my head on the bunk above mine.

"Ouch" I rub my head where I had hit it.

Ms.Lidia walks into the room with two girls behind her.

"Girls this is Autumn" Ms Lidia speaks.

"Autumn this is Demetria" Ms Lidia points at a dark skin girl with loose box braids, she's wearing a yellow and white striped crop top with blue jeans and white crocs.

"& this is Bianca" Ms Lidia points at a white girl with short pink hair, she's wearing all black down to her shoes and she has a black choker around her neck..

I wave at them and they wave back.

"I'll leave you girls to get acquainted while I make dinner" Ms.Lidia walks out of the room.

Demetria throws her backpack on to the bed above mine causing it to sink a little.

I watch as Bianca climbs on to the top bunk of the other bed.

She puts big headphones on to her head, covering her ears and after a few seconds I hear what sounds like death metal blasting through them..

"How old are you?" Demetria asks me.

"Seventeen" I tell her.

"Same" She walks over to a scratched up badge dresser, opening the top drawer.

I stare as she digs through the drawer, pulling a lollipop from it.

She rips the wrapper from the lollipop, throwing it into the small white trashcan by the door.

"What landed you in here?" She asks like we're in prison while putting the lollipop into her mouth..

"My mom, she-" I get cut off by the vibration of my phone.

"Your mom did what?" Demetria looks at me confused.

"One second" I tell her.

I look at my phone, seeing that it's Fats.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Where you at baby girl? I been in your school parking lot for damn near an hour"

I sigh "I'm at a foster home"

"A foster home?" Fats asks like Soulja boy when he said drake..

"FaceTime me" He demands.

I FaceTime him and his face pops up on my screen.

"I know they ain't got you on no bunk bed" Fats looks in disbelief.

"Is that your boyfriend?" Demetria looks into my phone.

I scoff "No"

"That's too bad, he fine" She tells me.

I roll my eyes, moving my phone from her view.

"How you ended up in there?" Fats asks me.

"My mom came to the school trying to take me home but I didn't want to go with her so I called CPS" I tell him talking to super fast.

He shakes his head "Baby girl"

"All you had to do was run away again, calling CPS was a little extra" Fats pronounces little as lil.

I nod "I realize that now"

He stares blankly like he's thinking about something.

"Now that I think about it, running away from a foster home is much smoother since people don't really care about foster kids. They for sure won't put in the extra effort your mom would to find you. That gives you more freedom" Fats tells me pronouncing for sure as fasho.