005. school dance

"All right, guys. I know you hate that I just have to chaperone, but it's not my fault nobody else wanted to, okay?" Cheyenne tells her children.

"Just don't embarrass us." Randy begs.

"Embarrass you? Wh-- I would never embarrass you. I am a cool mom. I'm a fun mom." Cheyenne insists.

"Yeah, no fun or cool mom says they're a fun cool mom." Taylor says.

"Yeah, that-- that's just not working out." Cody says.

Cheyenne's jaw falls slack at her children.

"Well, remember that next time you want ice cream or take out or a new gaming system." Cheyenne says.

"Wait, no, mom, we love you." Randy quickly changes his tune.

"Mm-hmm." Cheyenne hums.

"Just, like... pretend you don't know us tonight." Randy says.

"Fine." Cheyenne rolls her eyes.

The four make their way into the school gym, only finding August, Bel, Ruby, and a few other chaperones.

"Wow. It's popping up in here." Cheyenne remarks.

"Oh, God." Cody groans, walking away.

"No." Taylor shakes her head, quickly escaping.

"Mom." Randy groans, walking over to August.

"What?" She mumbles, frowning. "You three are no fun."

+++

Stella and Trevor get to the dance, greeting the rest of the group, the three girl friends complimenting each other.

"Your brother didn't say anything about how nice I looked." Bel says.

"Come on. We-- we both know that you invited me out of pity, and I thank you." August says.  "You do look nice, though." He tells her.

"Thanks." She tells him. "Sorry. It's just, my dad has Austin alerts set up on his phone, and he's asking if I'm okay."

"Still waiting on Todd?" August asks as Ruby sits down.

"No, Todd is dead to me." Ruby says. "No, my... my grandpa isn't responding to my texts. Just worried."

"Have you tried Facebook? I hear that grandparents love Facebook." Trevor says.

"Hey." They all turn to Cordell as he, Micki, and Trey walk in.

"Dad." Stella greets.

"You're safe." Cordell sighs in relief. 

"Storm's crazy." Micki says, taking the pizza from Cordell.

"Augie, you good?" Cordell asks. August nods, the two fist bumping. "I'm gonna go check the generator." He walks off.

+++

"Yeah. Yeah, Sacred Heart High School." Cordell says, holding his phone to his ear, his hand blocking the noise out of his other ear. "Great. We'll be here." He hangs up.

"Hey, doors are secure." Micki informs as she and Trey walk in.

"Good." Cordell nods. "Called EMS. Uh, they're sending out a mobile hospital unit. Just in case."

"Great." Micki says, walking over to Trey.

"Kind of sweet they're still, um, clumsy dancing during a natural disaster." Cordell remarks.

"It's sad the dance moves haven't gotten better in the decades that have passed." Cheyenne comments.

"All school dances are natural disasters." The woman by Cheyenne says, the woman recognizing her as the kids' science teacher.