Eat your young

Authors not before me begin.
This is the playlist for this fanfic/just Lucile's oc playlist I made.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6PAHuOaLeWBJG2t3kzBhnQ?si=RIcE7_shTNWeTFxZYN4Iig&pi=a-6uKhI3OaQv6u

So yeah have fun with that if you want.

Btw all the chapters are gonna be named after a song.

————————————————————————————

First person POV

I felt my eye flicker open, I was greeted with darkness.

'Am I... dead..?'

I think to myself before reaching out only to hit a surface. The lid of a coffin...

'...does... does that mean I'm dead or not-?'

I internally question. I was confused, nervous, and... I felt as though I still had control over my body.. my physical body... I couldn't be dead, but then... where am I? Did the sacrifice fall through..? Was it a fail?

What happened..?

I felt my mind begin to spiral, hundreds of questions filling my head as I pondered within the darkness of the coffin, when I suddenly realised, I wasn't even wearing the usual rags that the religion had given me.. no, these garments were much softer, almost like silk, they were flowing, and there was a hood...

A hood...

I shook my head as some unsavoury thoughts and memories began to creep into my mind... I suddenly heard footsteps approaching the coffin from outside...

'Is someone here..?'

And all of a sudden I heard a voice.

"I better hurry up and find that uniform before someone spots me..."

What?

"Urgggh... this lid weighs a ton!"

The voice groaned in irritation before suddenly taking on a more smug tone.

"Try this on for size! Mya-ha!"

As the voice said that, everything started to heat up, and my eye widened as the lid of the coffin flew off, that's when I saw it, fire.. blue fire to be more specific..

"Now to grab the goods..."

The voice mumbled as I stumbled out of the upright floating coffin, that's when I noticed that the voice was coming from a small cat like creature... but it definitely wasn't like any cat I've seen before, I felt my eye widen at the sight of it.

"What?! You ain't supposed to be awake!"

The cat yelled out, that's when I felt words start to pour from my mouth without even thinking.

"..a.. talking cat..?"

The creature seemed to take offence to that, its expression turning to irritation as it yelled at me

"How... How DARE YOU! I am no CAT! I'm Grim, sorcerer extraordinaire!"

The cats expression then turned smug... I think? It's pretty blurry.

"Tch. Whatever. You... human! Just gimme your uniform, and be quick about it!"

The cat... or- I guess, grim gestured to the clothes I was wearing, looking down I can now properly look at them, they were dark, they kind of reminded me of the cloaks the... people wore... only nicer, and more high quality..

"But... why should I..?"

I mumbled, looking back up at grim in question.

"Cause if you don't... you're gonna regret it!"

He suddenly starts creating fire out of seemingly nowhere, I felt my eye widen once again at the display, shock and a hint of fear taking over me.

Instead of waiting to see what would happen, I made a run for it, exiting the room filled with floating coffins, I barely had any time to think about where I was or where I was going, I just knew I had to run.

I soon found myself I what I can assume to be a library based on the blurred appearance of the room.

"Where am I...?"

I mumble to myself, glancing around the room nervously, pulling my hood down across my face slightly more without thinking.

Then the fire came back... dammit

"Foolish human! Did you really think you could slip away from ME?"

So this is it? I apparently escaped death... somehow? And I'm instead going to die because of this weird blurry cat instead? Great.

"Now, unless you wanna get burned to a crisp, take off that—"

And all of a sudden a crack rang out as grim was restrained by-

"Me-YEOW!"

Okay, just interrupt me i guess.

"That hurt! What gives?"

As grim finishes speaking, a man walks out of the shadows, he looked... odd.. the man spoke.

"Consider it tough love."

The man then turned to me with a hard to read expression.

"Ah, I've found you at last, splendid. I trust you're one of this years new students?"

...students..? I tilted my head at him in question.

"My were you ever eager to make your debut."

He starts with a slightly irritated expression before it morphs into a slight glare as he continues.

"And bringing a poorly trained familiar with you? That is a clear violation of the schools rules."

Grim protests to the man's words with a glare.

"As if I'd serve some lowly human! Now lemme go!"

I sweatdrop slightly at the scene before me, trying to mumble out an explanation, but it seems the man didn't notice, instead responding to grim.

"Yes, yes. Rebellious familiars always say that. Do be quiet for a bit, won't you?"

The man brings up a hand to cover grims mouth to make him shut up. Essentially speaking that is. He then turns back to me.

"Dear me. Of all the students I've dealt with, you're the first with temerity enough to open their own gate and step out of it."

Something about this guy makes me feel weird... like I really want to hit him for some reason... he continues speaking.

"Does the very notion of patience elude you?"

I look down slightly at that, unsure how to respond.

"No matter, your orientation has already begun. Let us return to the mirror chamber."

I look up at the man in question.

"Mirror chamber..?"

I mumble, clearly confused. The man looks at me before speaking once again.

"You awakened in a room full of gates, did you not?"

I pondered his words for a second, still confused..

"...you mean the coffins..?"

After i said that, i just kind of began to space out.. walking beside the man as he began to talk, but i just.. tuned him out, thinking about how he gave me a bad feeling.. my eye socket is itchy... lovely.

We continued to walk, me nodding along to the mans words despite not paying attention to try and at least make it seem like i was interested in what he was saying, i believe i picked up on certain words like, night raven college, carriage, orientation, magic, ect... and the walk continued that way, that was.. until i began to hear other voices nearby.. i looked up to see.. what i believe was a door.

I could vaguely hear what the voices were saying...

————————————————————————————

1116 words

First chapter of the prologue book done.

Yay