Chapter 8:

Rewind and Replay

Friday December 23rd 1983

"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan." Ally said, slowly inching forward. "We meet again at last." She raised her hand, pretending to hold a lightsaber. "The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the leaner." She positioned her feet, ready for the impending battle. "Now I am the master."

Dustin mirrored her intensity, his eyes narrowing. "Only a master of evil, Darth." He retorted, lunging forward and attacking with his imaginary lightsaber. Their lightsabers clashed, the pair making crackling noises as they battled. They moved through the living room, Dustin imitating the impressive spin before striking again. The commotion startled Mews, who leaped off the couch with an annoyed meow.

"Your powers are weak, old man." Ally imitated in a lowly gravelly voice, their faces now inches apart.

"You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." Dustin responded, channeling his best Obi-Wan impression. He swung his lightsaber again, making a buzzing sound from his mouth.

"You should not have come back!" Ally uttered darkly. She lunged forward, making a whooshing sound as her lightsaber cut through the air.

Dustin fell backward onto the couch while Ally stood triumphantly over him, poised to deliver the final blow—

Ding Dong

"Saved by the bell!" Ally chirped, dropping her act. She straightened her lavender sweater and smoothed down her hair. Dustin groaned, pulling himself up off the couch to pause the video playing on the TV.

Ally bounced over to the Henderson's front door, "Go fetch Mews," she instructed Dustin, pointing to the back door. Dustin obediently trotted off to retrieve the wayward feline. Ally swung open the door, the biting winter night hitting her flushed cheeks.

"Hey Ally," greeted Ian, the pizza delivery guy with a sleazy grin on his face.

"Hey Ian," Ally replied, mustering a polite smile. She handed him money for the pizza and took the box from his outstretched hand.

He adjusted his cap, "So, I know you said you weren't interested, but I thought maybe we could—"

"Bye Ian," Ally interrupted, swiftly closing the door without a second glance. She returned to the kitchen, ready to serve dinner.

"I wonder if Eleven can control minds, like the Jedi's," mused Dustin aloud, plopping down at the kitchen bench. Ally placed a plate down with a slice of pizza in front of him. "I mean, she flipped that van with her mind!" he exclaimed, his words slightly muffled by the pizza in his mouth. His adorable lisp, caused by his missing front teeth, added a charming touch to his thoughts.

Ally tried her best to keep up with Dustin's stream of consciousness. She grabbed a couple of glasses from the kitchen cabinet, her eyes sparkling with amusement as she poured them each a glass of Coke. Opting to pour a smaller one for the already hyperactive boy.

"Wait, who? Mike's cousin?" Ally asked, handing him the glass, then leaning in, eager to hear more.

She already knew about the mysterious Eleven, the alternate dimension, and the creature that escaped from it. Her stepfather, Dr. Michaels, had shared what he knew of the late Dr. Brenner's experiments, assuring her that his work at the lab was not sinister. He emphasized that he had no direct involvement in the experiments conducted by Dr. Brenner, and that his intentions were always to contribute positively to scientific advancements. While Ally couldn't shake off her lingering doubts, she wanted to believe that Barry was a good man, caught up in a web of secrets and mysteries that extended far beyond his control.