6

Trix

So here I was, in Andy's hotel room. Trying to be nice to someone I was trying to avoid falling for. It was hard when everything about him made me just adore him more.

I felt slightly bad that he felt pushed away by me but that was my intention after all. Patrick had borrowed me an old pair of track pants and I had gotten a tank top off Andy to sleep in. I tied my hair up in a loose side braid and walked out the bathroom. Andy was in mid-conversation on the phone.

"Yeah, tomorrow at 8 sounds great. Just text me the address and I'll meet you there. Goodnight Toy."

He hung up and shuffled around awkwardly, grabbing two water bottles out the fridge. I accepted one and headed out onto the balcony. Truth be told, I was a little upset he was going out with the supermarket chick. I just couldn't say I was or he'd know.

Know what, exactly? That I was jealous? Was this what it was? I pushed the thought out of my mind as I puffed away on my last smoke for the night. "You should really quit smoking Trixie."

I smiled, not wanting to betray my emotions, "yeah and you should really shave."

He laughed. "Touché. A girl with sass. I kind of like it."

"You've got me all figured out Hurley. Dopest producer alive by day, Queen of Sass by night."

"And she's modest too. No wonder you and Patrick get along."

I shrugged and killed my smoke. "So, are we going to roast marshmallows over candles or what?"

He laughed at me, "where'd you learn something like that from anyway?"

I smiled fondly, "in the country I come from, there are a lot of power outages. When there was no electricity, my brother and I would club together enough cash for a packet of marshmallows and roast them over a candle."

He seemed happy that I'd shared this with him, "I thought you were American. Your accent is perfect."

"No. I'm from South Africa actually. I moved here about 8 years ago."

"Do you ever go back and visit your family?"

I sighed, this was the part I hated telling people. "Don't tell anyone?"

He nodded and I continued on with my story, "yes, I go back every year to be there for the 21st of January and visit their graves. It was a car accident. My mom and brother, the only family I had left, both died and I was at home, studying for a biology exam."

Andy looked genuinely sad, "that's terrible Trixie. I can see why you'd want to get away from the memories."

I smiled and suddenly felt on edge again, "I'm going for a smoke then going to call it a night. We have a long week ahead of us."

"I'll come keep you company."

I couldn't say anything because it was his hotel room so I followed him out on to the balcony. He leaned on the railing when his phone went off. I raised an eyebrow at him, "Grocery store girl?"

He blushed. "Yeah, we're hanging out tomorrow night."

I killed my smoke. "Oh. Cool. Well, I'm calling it a night."

His face dropped, "I'd hoped maybe we would get to talk some more?"

I brushed him off, "your recording tomorrow and I'll probably have to put in a few hours mixing after. You and I both need a good night. Sleep well Andy."

With that I walked into the room and closed the door, turning the key in the lock and dropping to the floor behind it. "What am I doing?"