xvi. fuck

Oh, fuck me

Oh, fuck me. Fuck me. Panic rushed through me as the full weight of the situation crashed right into my head. It was like a lightning bolt of realization struck me right in the gut and there was not a single thing I could do about that.

And it all came flooding back- last night, with Alex and Ky- the group and Hawaii; and later, Ky's apartment. Alex crashed on the couch while Ky and I ended up in bed together, wrapped up in each other's embrace.

The warmth of his body against mine felt so comforting yet strangely unsettling, like I had suddenly stopped seeing the world through rose-tinted glasses and finally faced what had really been going on between the two of us.

I had wriggled out of his arms, the feel of his touch sending my mind into a whirlwind of confusion. We were fake dating, or so we told ourselves, but over the past few weeks, something had shifted. Something had become unmistakably real. And I wasn't sure if I wanted that.

Fuck- What was I saying? I couldn't even want that, because Ky was more than just a friend- he was my best friend, my childhood buddy and my anchor.

As I stood in the kitchen, the sizzle of pancakes filling the air, I could still hear Alex's soft snores drifting from the living room. He slept like a baby, oblivious to the world around him. I was jealous of him, yearning for that kind of peaceful night's sleep. But sadly enough for me, sleeping alone had become a rare luxury, especially with the heaviness of all my responsibilities lately bearing down on me.

I had a strange habit, sleeping alone only seemed possible when I didn't have a mountain of tasks looming over me, which was rare. I could sleep with others in the room, even in the same bed, but the thought of being completely alone in the apartment filled me with a sense of fear and a kind of anxiety.

It wasn't healthy, I knew that, but I couldn't seem to find a solution, especially with Ky's presence each night becoming less and less irregular, which gave me a harder time to actually face that problem of mine.

Maybe I was overreacting, letting my sleep-deprived mind make up scenarios that weren't even real. Perhaps the forehead kisses, the whispered words were all pieces of my imagination, driven by my own insecurities. So, maybe, I was indeed overreacting.

But deep down, I couldn't shake the feeling that something had changed between us, something that couldn't be brushed aside so easily.

Taking a deep breath, I focused on the task at hand, flipping another pancake onto the growing pile. And even though the faint throbbing in my head felt actually uncomfortable- a reminder of last night- I wanted to do something sweet for us all, hence my little mission in the kitchen.

A sense of relief washed over me as I had the contents of Ky's fridge fresh in my mind, filled with vegetables and fruits. It was different to its previous state, which typically consisted of soju, beer, and various alcoholic drinks.