IX. The Truth

Lainey arrived home, and truth be told she didn't want to go inside.

She knew Eli was there because of a message her father had sent in their family group chat, one she was no longer part of.

The message said something about dropping Eli home and saying goodbye to his granddaughter. So, here she was in her car. She stared down at her dashboard, and honestly she wanted to slam her head against it. She was having so many thoughts at once, she didn't know whether she was coming or going. She wanted to yell. She wanted to scream out. She wanted to cry.

She knew it was the frustration talking.

Actually, nope. It was most likely her depression. She really needed to get back onto the medication like Doctor Miller had encouraged.

She just couldn't believe her father...

Lainey touched her face gently as she observed herself in the mirror. She looked awful. Absolutely awful.

You could tell all she had done was cry. She didn't want Eli to see her like this. Being as stubborn as she was, she sat in her car until she deemed herself acceptable to be seen.

The car door closed behind her with a thud, she walked across the hot concrete towards her home.

She took her keys from her pocket and unlocked the door. She walked inside, there was silence.  The apartment was silent, a rare occasion if she was being completely honest, she welcomed it.

As the door closed behind her, she felt a presence behind her.

"Hey."

Lainey turned to be greeted by Eli. He stood before her, he had changed his clothes. He now wore grey sweatpants and a red sweater.

"We need to talk," Eli said.

"Really? I've been thinking the same thing! Maybe about you sneaking around with my dad?"

"What?"

"I know what I saw, Eli. My dad posted it in the family group chat!"

"I... Thought you weren't in that group anymore?" he asked with furrowed brows.

"Anthony showed me."

"Oh...."

"Yeah... Oh. You really fucked up this time didn't you?"

Eli scoffed. "What was I supposed to do?"

"Tell my dad to fuck off."

"Oh, yeah. That'll look good!"

Lainey laughed. "Don't worry, you'll get over it. You usually do." She stormed away from Eli, not wanting this to continue any longer. She had said her piece and wanted to leave it the way it was.

Eli followed her closely. "No - We need to talk."

"Fine, talk!"

As Lainey tossed her phone onto the counter, she looked at him – arms folded across her chest as she did.

"You gonna talk?" she pushed.

"When I say talk, I mean talk." Eli's hand brushed against her arm. "Like adults."

Lainey rolled her eyes. "In case you've noticed, I'm not an adult!"

"I'm aware, Lainey. But we have to be mature about this don't we?" he said. "We cannot keep arguing."

"Who's arguing?" she scoffed.

"Look, I want to talk."

"Then talk." She sat down on the couch.

Eli remained standing in front of her, he ran his hand through his hair and inhaled sharply.

"Where's Ridley?" Lainey asked.

"She's asleep." Eli grabbed a chair from the dining table, he dragged it across the floor and stopped when he was opposite Lainey. He sat himself down. "We need to work things out, Princess."

Lainey bit her lip as she looked across at him. She had to stop herself from crying somehow. But Eli could see the way the water clouded her vision.

"What things?" she asked.

"Us. Me and you."

"Okay..."

"Do you really think all I love you for is your body?" he rasped. "Because... That is not how I see you. I promise you. You are amazing. You are so strong. You are an amazing mom to Ridley. I count myself lucky that we are on this journey together. Sure, we've said some fucked up things to each other lately, but please—"

"Eli, stop talking."

"What? No. I'm not finished..."

"I didn't mean what I said," Lainey stated. "If I could take it back, I absolutely would."

Eli nodded. "I'm sorry for what I said about Doctor Miller, too. I should've figured you'd tell her about all the stuff."

"Yeah...." Lainey drew a breath. "So, what did my dad want?"

"He was at the cemetery visiting Mr Miyagi's grave," Eli explained. "And he saw us and stopped. All he wanted to do was see Ridley. You understand that, right?"

"I just... Don't want him anywhere near her. He hurt me, Eli."

"He hurt you, not Ridley. Please stop punishing him like this."

"Like what?"

"Not allowing him to see his granddaughter."

"But–"

"But nothing, Princess. I know you know it's the right thing to do. You can't keep him away forever. He loves her. Take it from someone who lost their father, I really want our daughter to have a grandfather."

Tears rolled down Lainey's cheeks. Every single word that came from his mouth made so much sense.

"You're so right...." she cried out. "Oh my God, I've been so fucking despicable."

"Shhh," Eli whispered as he moved from the chair to the couch. He sat beside her. "You acted on your emotions. It was perfectly rational to cut him out when he wanted nothing to do with you or Ridley. But now, he wants to be involved."

"I've deprived her of her grandfather...." she gasped. "My dad.. I bet he hates me."

Eli frowned. "He loves you so much. He was beaming with pride today when he saw Ridley. Said she was beautiful just like you." He smiled as he wiped her tears away with his thumb.

"R-Really?"

"Yes."

Lainey smiled through her tears. "God, Eli.... I'm so sorry for what I said to you earlier. I never want you to think I don't love you. Because I do. You are definitely not like any of the other guys. You are my guy. The one who I trust, you've always been there for me through it all. You were there for me even when we had broken up, you saved my life. I know you did."

She leaned closer and kissed his lips. But by now, Eli was crying too. The tears crawled down his cheeks, he wiped them with his sleeve.

"I love you," he whispered. "I will never stop loving you." He kissed the top of her head gently and looked at the clock on the wall. "When Ridley wakes up I'll bath her."

"Really?"

"Of course, Princess."

"W-What about work?"

"I've cut back a day at work so I can help more."

"Really? Is that wise?"

Eli hushed her. "I've got money saved up. We'll be okay, I promise. You and Ridley are my most important priority right now."

Lainey smiled at him as he pulled her closer, her head against his chest. Their own bliss as Eli Moskowitz held her close and never wanted to let go.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Let me know your thoughts!