Chapter 3

---

As the day wore on, Emily found herself lost in the hustle and bustle of school life, her mind occupied with thoughts of Alex and the warm smile he had sent her earlier. She and Olivia had shared laughs and exchanged stories between classes, their friendship providing a welcome respite from the challenges that still lingered in the back of Emily's mind.

As Olivia headed to her locker, leaving Emily momentarily alone in the hallway, a familiar sense of unease washed over her. It was in these moments of solitude that the shadows of her past seemed to creep in, threatening to engulf her in their darkness.

Before she could gather her thoughts, Samantha appeared, her presence like a dark cloud on the horizon. Emily's heart sank as she braced herself for the onslaught of cruel words she knew was coming.

"Look who it is, the fatty herself," Samantha sneered, her voice dripping with malice as she closed in on Emily. "Did you have a nice lunch, piggy?"

Emily felt a lump form in her throat as Samantha's words cut through her like a knife. The familiar sting of hurt and humiliation washed over her, threatening to engulf her in its waves.

But just as Emily began to feel the weight of Samantha's words bearing down on her, a voice broke through the darkness like a ray of light. "Hey, leave her alone."

Emily's eyes widened in surprise as she looked up to see Alex standing before her, his expression fierce and determined. He stepped forward, placing himself between Emily and Samantha, a protective barrier against the cruelty of the world.

Samantha's eyes narrowed in annoyance, but Alex stood his ground, refusing to back down. "She's not bothering anyone," he said firmly, his voice unwavering. "So why don't you just leave her alone?"

With a huff of frustration, Samantha turned on her heel and stormed off, leaving Emily and Alex standing alone in the hallway. Emily's heart raced with a mixture of shock and gratitude, her cheeks flushing pink at the sight of the boy who had come to her rescue.

"Are you okay?" Alex asked, his concern evident in his eyes as he looked at Emily.

Emily nodded, a warm smile spreading across her face. "Yeah, thanks to you," she replied, her voice filled with gratitude. "You didn't have to do that."

But Alex just shrugged, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "I couldn't just stand by and let her bully you," he said. "No one deserves to be treated like that."

And in that moment, as Emily looked into Alex's eyes and felt the warmth of his presence beside her, she knew that this was the beginning of something special. Little did she know, the bond that had formed between them would be the spark that ignited a love that would stand the test of time.

---

As Alex and Emily stood in the hallway, their conversation flowing easily between them, they were interrupted by Olivia's return. With a playful grin, she sauntered over to them, her eyes sparkling with mischief.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?" Olivia teased, nudging both Alex and Emily with her elbows. "Looks like I've stumbled upon a couple of lovebirds."

Emily felt her cheeks flush pink at Olivia's playful teasing, but she couldn't help but smile at the sight of her friend's infectious grin. With a playful swat, she nudged Olivia back, her laughter filling the air like music.

"Come on, Liv, don't be ridiculous," Emily said, trying to suppress the butterflies that fluttered in her stomach at the thought of Alex.

But Olivia just winked at her, her playful demeanor unchanged. "Oh, come off it, Em," she teased, her voice filled with mock seriousness. "It's written all over your faces. You two are cute together."