13 - Scandals and Perfume

All the drinks here are real-life, existing drinks and probably in the next chapter, there will also be perfume references, so try and see if you can find out which ones I'm talking about! 

Enjoy!

Wriothesley's POV

---------------------------------

So... just what am I doing?

Why am I avoiding Neuvillette? I want to see him again. 

That time when we were in the house... Just what happened after I got into the house? I... ugh, I need to work. Get your mind off this, Wriothesley.

"Sigewinne, don't you think this place is... a bit stuffy? I need to do work though. Do you have anything that might keep me awake so I can do my work in peace?"

She was sitting on my chair behind my desk, while I laid on one of the settee's, books stacked right beside me. She forced me to lie down, saying I needed to take a break from going outside and not fixing the problem of mountains of papers stacked on my desk. 

Sigewinne was sitting at my desk, watching over me as one of the other melusines working at the infirmary took over her duties. She hasn't trusted me to be alone ever since I got into that incident, and I just wanted to tell her that I wasn't a child anymore. 

I wasn't like how I first arrived here, small and clueless, naive and defenceless. She was already here when I got sent down here, and she had helped me get through the hardest nights, all the way to when I became the Duke of Meropide. 

Neuvillette was the one who gave me the title of Duke. He was the one who sent Sigewinne down here. He was the one who looked out for me and Captain Chevereuse when we were up in the attic of that house. 

After the trial, I heard that he was sentenced to life down at the Fortress, stuck here with me. When the other prisoners learned about what he did, he immediately became an outcast and was singled out by everyone. 

It was quite sad to see him so... pathetic. And to think that I got drugged from behind by this guy. It'd be an understatement to say that I'm embarrassed, but where does sulking about it get me? It'd just prove how pitiful I am. 

Hah, how about I go for a round of drinks? It's been a while, and I could use the liveliness of the party. Maybe I should get Clorinde to accompany me, if she doesn't have a duel she's scheduled for. 

"Do you know where Clorinde is? I need to go for some drinks... I think I have a bottle of Alsace Blanc in one of the cabinets." 

"Your Grace-"

"Oh please, drop the formalities, Sigewinne. We've known each other for way too long for you to still be calling me that, especially in private."

"Fine Wriothesley, you shouldn't be drinking though. There are better alternatives, like that new tea that you got from Liyue, da hong pao, right? Didn't you say you were excited to try it? You got a whole new tea set for that specific one too."

"Ugh, you sound like a nagging parent right now, I just... need to let loose okay? This month's been hard on me, and I just need someone to drink these problems away with. Clorinde has a high alcohol tolerance, so I can assure you I won't go wandering like some of the drunks on the surface."

"Hmm, fine. Just make sure to drink in moderation!"

I stood up, ready to leave with my 2 bottles of Alsace Blanc, and waved to Sigewinne as I left my office. 

"You know I will, Sigewinne, who do you take me for, some lightweight?"

What I didn't know, however, is that I was a lightweight.