21 - Caught Red Handed

Neuvillette's POV
________________________

It's nice to stumble upon such memories once in a while. 

At least I can look back on them when I need some comfort, though it still doesn't erase the aching in my heart, leaving a bittersweet feeling afterwards. 

Bidding the world I once knew farewell, I awoke. A heavy arm was slung around my waist and chest, pulling me so, so close. I could feel his heartbeat on my back, or was it? It could've been mine the way it was so loud it rang in my ears.  

I've never been in this kind of situation before, everything is so foreign to me, and you'd think I would be uncomfortable with this but... somehow, it's acceptable. What makes it different? Is it because it's Wriothesley? 

I brushed those thoughts aside, hoping to save them for later. Right now, all I wanted to do was to just wait it out, see what would happen. I brought up arm up to touch his, laced with scars deep enough to carve shallow rifts in his skin. 

The wounds that brought them must've looked brutal. Was it one of the prisoners that did that? If I sent down someone that hurt Wriothesley as a way of releasing their anger, I... I'd feel very, very guilty. 

That's what I'm afraid of? Of him getting hurt? Oh please, for the love of the Archons, he's a grown man. He's been Duke of Meropide for how many years now? 10? 12? He rose when he was 20, and now he's 34, so 14 years. 

Has it been that long already? Time passed by... strangely quick. I kept him in my thoughts, but never approached him, worried that he might've resented me for what I did, even if it was my job as the High Judge of Fontaine. 

Ah, now I'm getting caught up in the past again. Does all this reminiscing come with the years? I feel like I live more in the past than in the present. My job requires me to look into the past, piece together the memories and events to exact proper judgment, doesn't matter what happens in the court, so long as I give the right verdict. 

Without me knowing it, I had been gripping Wriothesley's forearm, leaving a red mark. I soon began to panic, trying but failing to turn back to see if he was awake or not. I turned over as gently as I could to face him, but did expect to see his chest right in my face.

It smelt strongly like black rose tea, the one he most likely was drinking when I woke up. The smoky smell of his cigar still stuck to his clothes, a thick scent of... well, I'm not so sure what. All I know is that it doesn't smell all that bad. 

I found myself leaning closer, but why? Do I want to feel even warmer than I am right now? My hands placed against my chest soon came apart, wrapping around Wriothesley's body. You'd think that with cryo vision holders, they would have low body heat, but this, this was like hugging a... freshly dried blanket, soft and warm to the touch. 

"Mmm..." I heard a grumble from above, the other pulling me even more into his body. I wasn't sure what to do now, but, it did make me feel a bit tired, so I closed my eyes, focusing on the moment, letting loose the stress that had built up over how long. 

His head was on mine, and it was like he had wrapped himself around me, eager for touch. It was like... he was in love with me. Is he? I'm... not sure what this is now. Are we a couple now? Had I agreed to a promise I may not keep?

...

No matter, I will wait, just like I always have. 

This feels nice. It's like I can finally relax. 

I felt his head above me go lower, burying itself into my hair by my neck. His breath tickled my nape, and I pursed my lips to hold back a little laugh. Ah, why am I acting like this? I'm not some touch-starved teenager...