t h r e e

We walked to the hole in the fence and slide into the Drive-In.

"Do you know what they're showing?" Marilyn asked as we sat down in one of the seats.

"I just got here, how the hell am I supposed to know," I said shrugging.

"Damn, sorry," she rolled her eyes.

We sat there watching whatever movie was playing. "I'm bored, let's look for trouble," I said getting up.

"Alright, whatcha wanna do?" She asked.

"Well, we could mess with some socs," I said, sly grin forming on my face.

"Evie, last time you did that you almost died," Marilyn said, caution on her face.

"That's why it's fun," I smiled, pulling out a cigarette.

We walked up to a car, a blue Mustang, and I picked up a pebble and threw it at their back windshield.

"Evie, you've had your fun, let's go," Marilyn said pulling on my arm.

"No, just a bit longer. No one's gonna get hurt. I promise," I said pulling my arm out of her grasp. I picked up another pebble and threw it at their windshield again. This time it broke. "Oh fuck," I mumbled as I grabbed Marilyn's arm.

"HEY YOU DAMN GREASE! YOU'RE GONNA PAY FOR THIS!" One of them yelled as we tore through the Drive-In.

I could hear car tires screeching behind me but I didn't dare to look back, I just kept running.

We ran until we got to the lot near my house. "I, don't, hear, them, anymore," I panted, putting my hands on my knees.

"You could've gotten us killed Evie!" Marilyn screamed.

"Well I didn't, you're here. You're alive. You're fine. Okay?" I snapped back at her.

"Evie, you can't keep playing these games. One day you're going to get yourself killed. I know your folks wouldn't care none but I would," she said, tears welling in her eyes.

"I'm sorry Mary. I didn't mean to break their windshield. I just wanted to have some fun. I'm sorry," I said, my eyes pleaded with her to forgive me.

"It's okay, it'll be pretty funny when their parents find out," she giggled.

"Yeah, they won't be too happy," I said, heading back to my house.

We walked in silence the rest of the way, and when I got to my house I heard screaming inside.

"You can stay with me tonight if you want," Marilyn said squeezing my hand.

"No, it's fine. I'll head back to the lot. See ya tomorrow doll," I said walking away. I've always called her doll. It was another nickname. It suited her well though. She always looked so put together even as a greaser.

I walked back to the lot, and wrapped myself in my leather jacket. It was a bit colder tonight. "AH!" I yelped as I tripped over something.

"Oh gosh, I'm sorry," a boy said. I guess I tripped over him.

"It's okay," I said, getting back up. He was sitting on a couch, one I sometimes sleep on whenever I'm here. "Hey, you're kinda in my spot."

"What? Oh, I'm sorry. I've been sleeping here a lot lately, and didn't realize someone actually owned this couch. I'll move," he said getting up.

"No, I don't even own it either. I sleep here every now and then too. Bad home life?" I asked sitting down.

"Yeah, you?"

"Yup, been getting better, but not tonight. Say, what's your name anyways," I asked pulling out another cigarette.

He mumbled something but I couldn't hear him.

"What?" I asked

"Johnny Cade," he a said a bit louder. But I still couldn't hear him.

"Johnnycakes?" I asked puzzled.

"Johnny Cade," he said more clearly.

"Oh. Well I'm going to call you Johnnycakes anyways. It seems to suit you. You're real quiet," I said, not really thinking about what I was saying.

"Yeah, what's your name?" He asked. I wonder if he got that he was quiet a lot.

"Evelyn. But, you can call me Evie, that's what all my friends call me. Want a beer?" I asked remembering the bag I tucked away from earlier.

"Um I don't know," he said quietly.

"What? Can't hear you!" I screamed.

"I'm fine!" He kinda shouted.

"Suit yourself," I shrugged, walking back with a beer in hand. "Why are you out here anyways?" I asked sitting down.

"Parents are drunk. My home life isn't great either, I understand what you're going through," he said.

He looked at me and I noticed he was the guy who told that one kid yelling at to stop, and he was there at the Dingo when Dallas grabbed me when I tried taking his wallet. 

"Where'd you get that scar?" I asked, still staring at him.

"I got jumped, there was too many and I was alone. My friends said I was really close to death," he said, looking back down.

"Oh," I said, understanding why he's so quiet. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, it's over now. I carry a switch everywhere I go now," he said, pulling it out.

"I carry mine everywhere too," I said, pulling mine out. "It ain't easy being a girl in a city."

"I bet. Hey, I'm real tired. I'm going to try and get sleep."

"Yeah, I should to, it was nice talking to you," I said, curling up on the couch.

"You too," he said.