Chapter 2 - Damage Control

A/N: Made small changes to fit the new Chapter 3 currently under rewrite.
____________________________________

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under

- Martin Luther King Jr.
____________________________________

White House Office of the President of the United StatesWashington DCUnited States of AmericaFebruary 1985

White House
Office of the President of the United States
Washington DC
United States of America
February 1985

"Now, let's start this meeting." Reagan said as the NSC nodded in greement. Everyone took seats in any available chairs while others remained standing as Reagan turned to secretary of commerce Malcom Baldrige Jr. "Mr. Secretary, give me a sitrep on our economy."

"Our economy is doing fine, for now, Mr. President." Malcom replied. But frowned abit as he continued. "However, the emphasis on 'for now'. The stock market is going to collapse sooner than anticipated as trade decrease, which will weaken and halt our economic growth."

"After that, we will experience economic stagnation as I have mentioned that trade would be decreased to a few nations." He continued as a sombering tone flowed over the room's atmosphere. "And if this economic stagnation continues, it will drop. After that, there would be no America left to save."

Everyone was silent at the revelation. They knew that their situation was already problematic but never knew it was this worse. They kept silent as Malcom continued. "However, I did some precautions to leviate the damage. But I need the support of you and congress to ratify and execute these plans."

Malcom then gives Reagan a folder, with the seal of the Department of Commerce on the front. "To make these documents short, we plan on salvaging what's left and restructuring the economy as well as investing on our domestic market. That would might help us in the long run."

Reagan read through the document. Mostly about re-negotiating trading with partners, economic restructure and such. However, what got him the most was the expansion of his Reaganomics plan with tax reforms, continued deregulation, tighter monetary policies, and investing in domestic industry.

"But we do need to restart trade with our existing partners and find new ones." He pointed. "Combining all of NATO's resources, we don't have enough to continue production of a lot of our products, especially fuel."

"Yes, I am concerned about it as well." The secretary of energy, John Harrington, said with a nod. "We do need oil to power all our power plants all across the mainland, fuel our vehicles, and much of our machines in the factories are fueled by oil."

Oil has been a number one product being used by everyone back on earth. Its the single resource that powers all of the world's machines with more efficiency and energy compared to other sources of power, besides nuclear power.

The US alone produces a large percentage of it and a large percentage of consumption as well.

"With oil tankers no longer coming from the Middle East, we may have to ration our own oil for awhile." He added with a concerned tone. "The Canadians could supply us in the long run but it would take long for their oil production to see progress."