014. inside my head

riley
8:12pm
ochsner hospital

•••

I awake from crying myself to sleep. I look at Autumn beside me, asleep with dried tears on his face. All of the love we had, ready to share all of it with our baby boy. Why me? Why us?

The doctors finally come back with the test results, hopefully giving us closure on why this happened.  I shake Benji a little to wake him up. He lifts his head.

"So, those test results are finally back. Riley, overall, everything seems to be fine. Some of these results on the other hand, aren't too good."

I look at the doctor in shock, "What? What are you talking about?"

"You tested positive for Teratogens."

"What is that?" Benjamin asks.

"I haven't taken any drugs though!" I say.

The doctor answers Benjamin, "A teratogen is a substance that interferes with the normal development of a fetus. If you take enough, it could kill the fetus."

"Riley doesn't do drugs- wait," he turns to me, "Was it the stomach medicine that I gave you?"

"Baby no, I didn't even take that medicine."

"Then how..?"

"So what I'm hearing is that this wasn't on purpose- not self imposed?" The doctor says.

"What the fuck? Do you think I did this on purpose?" I say frustrated.

"I'm sorry maam, I didn't mean to word it like that, I meant-

"Watch how you word it next time, don't ever say no shit like that," Benji says.

"I'm sorry to the both of you, I do apologize. So what I'm hearing is someone else must've done this? Since no medication was taken that you know of?"

"Are you asking if I was drugged, ma'am?" I ask.

"Yes."

I look at Autumn, "Someone drugged me?"

"I don't see how," he says. "I mean you ate the food I made this morning, last night we went to that party..." Autumn then pauses, "Baby did you eat or drink anything at that party?"

I begin to think, "I didn't eat anything but I did have a mocktail."

"Riley, did you ever happen to place that drink down? Perhaps at the bar or a table?" The doctor asks.

"I mean I did, but I was with my friend, and then Izaya showed up," I shake my head.

"Wait." Autumn says as he looks at me.

We both look at eachother.

There is no way.

"Izaya? Is he a friend?"

"Hell no." Autumn says.

"Before you say anything else, I do have to call the police station. This seems to be a crime that was committed against you Riley."

"It all makes sense now," Benji says as he face palms. "Baby think about it. He went up to you, acting as if he doesn't know anything, knowing that he knows I was your baby father. He tried to act friendly towards you. It had to be him."

I was in complete shock. I couldn't believe Izaya would do this. It was never that deep. Men really can't take rejection. He killed our baby because of that? I was more angry than sad at this point. He took something from me that I could never get back.

"Ma'am don't tell the cops. I can handle this," Benji says.

"Sir, no disrespect but i have knowledge of a crime. If I didn't report it it'd be illegal."

He shakes his head. "Can I have some privacy with my lady real quick?"

The doctor nods her head and leaves the room.

"I'm gonna kill him." He says.

"Baby, we need to let the cops handle this."

"Fuck that! I already have a bad rep with the cops here, I don't need they fucking help. Just wait until I tell the boys about this shit we gone get shit handled!"

"Benjamin, if anything happens to Izaya you are going to be the first suspect! You have a motive! Do you really want to throw your life away?"

"You basically just asked me if I'd throw my life away for my son. What do you think my answer is?"

I sigh, "Baby, our son is gone. This would not bring him back. We wouldn't gain anything from this! I know you're hurt; trust me, I am too! But that is not the right route to take with this!"

He shakes his head in quietness. "When can I take you home?"

"I think they told me in like 5 more hours."

"Okay," he sighs. "My mom is on her way by the way, she's bringing us some clothes. Ima take a shower real quick. Ian leaving unless it's with you."

"Okay baby."

He kisses my forehead, then goes into the bathroom. His mom finally arrives, giving her condolences. It's so hard not to cry every 3 seconds, but I try my best not to.

After she leaves, Autumn lifts me up and helps me take a shower. The doctors said I might need help walking and doing certain things for a few days.

I feel so embarrassed.

"Baby this is why I'm here," he says. "And I know you'd do the same."

"Damn right. It's crazy because I don't know what I would do without you, even thought it's been less than a year since I've had you. You do so much for me without me asking. And I really used to think you were evil."

"Yea, a lot of people think I'm evil," he says. "But I love you. And when I say that shit I really mean it."

"And you show it. That's how I know you mean it."

"You betta know."

We laugh as he helps me out of the shower. I dry off and put my new clothes on. The officers walk into the room shortly after, asking questions about Izaya and what lead to him spiking my drink.

Afterwards, we collect my things and head home.

Autumn told me he won't take matters into his own hands, but a little voice in the back of my head is saying, "Keep an eye on him."