11

My friend, Adebisi's jaw dropped as I shared all the things that happened while she was gone on a work trip.

"So that's what happened o." I said concluding the story I was using to share everything that happened to me and my family during the past few weeks when she was out of the country for work purposes.

"Wow, this Remi is really a piece of trash o!" She complained, her grip on her fork tightening as if she wanted to use it to stab Remi. "That's the same guy that would come to our classes in the department to accompany you? The guy that waited for you at the parking lot with gifts?"

"Well, I guess it's a matter of once you have married a woman into your home, she loses her importance?" I said, unable to stop my memories of that period for flickering through my brain.

We were both silent as I sighed, "I wish I'd taken it seriously when he took me to meet his sister and she was just staring at me quietly. Remember that I said she looked at me with pity while we were having lunch. I didn't understand why back then but I probably understand why now."

Bisi nodded and then took a sip of water. "And you're saying he doesn't even look at Adesewa? He has the prettiest little daughter in the world and he pretends not to see her?"

"All the time. Every time. I don't think he has said more words than responding to her greeting him since she was born. He has also never really carried her. What am I saying? This is the bastard that walked away after he learned that I had a girl rather than a boy."

"With all of his education, he still thinks a boy child is better than a girl child?" Bisi asked, looking befuddled.

"I don't understand o!" I said, shaking my head before bringing my glass of juice closer to my lips and taking a sip of it. "I mean, I really don't blame him though. I think all this can be attributed to his mother and probably his late father. Otherwise, why would his sister be so distant from the family?"

"If I had known, we would have interviewed his sister secretly when we realized that something was wrong with their relationship." Bisi said, cutting out a small mouthful of Della's restaurant signature chocolate cake.

I couldn't help laughing sarcastically, "How could that have happened? Don't you remember how much of a lovely idiot I was back then? I thought Remi loved me with all his heart so I loved him with all my heart too. Back then, I believed him when he said his sister was problematic and a bit anti-social. Anti-social, my ass. My daughter also became anti-social after being exposed to him and his stupid mother."

We were both silent and the small private booth we'd rented at Della's for this conversation fell silent as well.

We finished up the deserts we'd bought with our lunch.

"Are you sure about divorcing him?" Bisi asked as she stared at the empty plate that had held her piece of chocolate cake.

"Yeah." I said quietly.

She looked up and met my eyes for a few seconds. Then she nodded and said, "Well, I'm here for you sha. Just let me know if you need anything. Wait, should I help you ask my coworker about the divorce lawyer that helped with her divorce?"

I shook my head. "No need, thanks. I will be using the lawyer at work. Someone I know at work told me that the company could sponsor the divorce process and help me fight for custody for my daughter."

"Wow, that's a relief o. If you need anything, message me or call me o." She insisted.

"I know jare." I said with a chuckle.

"Ehn, you know jare but while I was abroad, you didn't tell me anything that was going on." She complained.

"You were busy with that project, how could I disturb you again?" I said with a smirk. "So what about Lanre?"