Chapter- 3 Just for once!

The morning came like a flash. Akriti woke up before her usual time, even after gulping down three sleeping pills; sleep was far away from her eyes. The stress of the situation and her surroundings was taking a toll on her. She was preparing herself, telling herself that she can move on just the way she had promised her mother, yet she found taking that one single step difficult.

It was 7 in the morning as she descended down the stairs and made her way outside the house. She needed to feel fresh air, and her body urged her to do exercise. Having low blood sugar problems was the bane of her existence. She hated exercise and such stuff with all her heart, yet she still remembered the first time she acted recklessly towards her health and ended up on that rough and tough hospital bed for a week straight!

Her mother made her ears ring unceremoniously; however, what pinched her more was the tears in her eyes after seeing her child like that. After that, she made sure not to do something that can hurt and bring tears to Mumma's eyes. Those tears forced her to do the right thing for herself.

She jogged in the garden, lost in her own thoughts, looking around at the garden. The way the garden was filled with different kinds of flowers and plants, decorated systematically, caught her interest. She moved towards one of the flower pots which had a white rose on it...her favorite! She brushed her hands carefully, not wanting to pluck them out.

Back in Rishikesh, they didn't live in a big fat mansion that could provide their every need. She knew her mother was already doing her best to make their financial situation stable and better for the two of them. Yet, in the beginning, there were days when they starved for meals. They luckily got one or two meals, that too with a great deal of effort her mother used to put in her work. The financial life of a columnist was not significant focus in the particular scenario back then. So asking her mother to fulfill her wish despite seeing her struggles... that was not something Aakriti was able to do. And by the time they became stable, things were already messed up in their life to live comfortably anymore.

She sat on the soft grass for some time; the weather was unrealistically cool, the heat of the sun wasn't on... something she was glad about!

After a while, she stood up and made her way towards the room to freshen up and made her way back downstairs. She was on regular insulin, so having her meals on time was a necessity for her. She didn't wish to get sick, end up in the hospital, and trouble the family without any reason. She can and will take care of herself on her own!

As she made her way towards the kitchen, she wandered her eyes around the mansion. Now that she was out of her daze, she could clearly see so many things changed, and it looked like a richy-rich big mansion straight out of the movies. She sighed; the situation her brothers lived in was so different that she didn't even know what to expect from them or from herself. However, they both lived a life where they were happy...maybe?

She entered the kitchen only to find Preeti cooking, and stopped in her tracks. She didn't think someone would be up this early. She hesitated at the door, not wanting to disturb the lady who had yet acknowledged her presence. She turned to leave...

"Aakriti!" Preeti called out upon seeing her.

Kriti sighed and turned, walking inside... there is no running away!

"Kuch chaiye tha?" Preeti asked softly.

Aakriti nodded, "Vo...vo mujhe mera nashta banana tha. So..." she said somehow.

The smile on Preeti's face faltered a bit; however, she composed herself, "Mujhe bata do, I will make it."

"Nahi...I mean uski zarurat nahi hai. Aap kha ma kha taklif maat..."