Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Around 6:30 the phone rang. Pa answered. A few head nods, a few yups and a thank you where all that was said. I sat at the kitchen table waiting for a response. Pa looked at me with a disgruntled and depressed look. "Aimee, we need to talk." My heart hit my throat again. "Yes sir." I rose from the table and followed Pa to the front porch.

"Listen kid this isn't easy for me to tell you. I know today was not the best for any of us." Pa cleared his throat and took a deep breath. "They arrested Tucker on charges linked to drugs and running an illegal distillery. Now they don't know how he's linked too it, but his cousin Morgan was arrested while you where on your trip. The only thing I can think is that Morgan didn't want to go down for the crime and was able to place Tucker there when he went and picked up his things from there the other week." I was baffled, silent, and the burning tears started to welt again. "Now, he is going to serve some time. How much we don't know. All I can tell you is he isn't coming home for a while."

I slumped over my knees. Pastood up and striaghted his belt out. "I am sorry Aimee. I know this is noteasy. I wish I had better news for you." He turned and walked back into thehouse leaving me alone on the porch. I looked out to the farm, seeing thelights on the barns swarmed with different bugs bouncing on and off the hugelights. I pulled my self into a ball in the corner of the swing. Listening tothe crickets and owls. I closed my eyes. I could see him. I could feel himclose to me. I could hear him telling to hang in there. I feel asleep