Chapter Fifteen

Body and Mind - girl in red

Grace, Now

The wheels screech when they hit the tarmac. The nose of the jet dips, and the pilot slams on the brakes. The force of the landing pushes me forward. I grip the leather armrests, shutting my eyes against the brief panic.

As a survivor of a plane crash, being forced to fly is a cruel joke—akin to jumping into open ocean after a shark attack. But I am now publicly married to a professional football player, and we live in different parts of the country. Air travel is unavoidable.

Payton and I parted ways at the airport in New Orleans. He joined his team on a jumbo jet headed for Minneapolis, and I boarded a chartered line back to Philly.

It's dawn on New Year's Day. I spent nearly a full week at Payton's home. Sharing space with one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL is interesting. I've 'dated' athletes, and my father and brother had similar occupations, but I'd never witnessed firsthand the trials these men put themselves through.

And I'm not talking about practice

Payton's house was a revolving door of chiropractors, physical therapists, acupuncturists, and masseuses. I stood behind the scenes, witnessing how Payton prepares himself to take the field.

Payton laid on a padded table in his home gym while a man cracked what seemed like every vertebrae along his spine. Another woman stuck needles in his shoulder and lower back. A team of trainers twisted his body into various positions, applying pressure to his tendons and joints. A homeopathic practitioner appeared one morning, using cups to suck the inflammation from his spine. And the final procedure at the end of every day? An ice bath.

It was fascinating, and assuaged many of my concerns. Payton is in this for the long haul, and he is taking the proper precautions to ensure his body keeps up with the demand.

The plane taxis, and the stewardess lowers the air stairs. I grab my bag, thanking the crew. As I disembark, I narrow my eyes at the vehicle parked at the base of the steps.