Chapter 2 Levaris

Levaris, one of the northernmost cities on the continent, was covered in snow for seven of the eleven months. When winter came around, the city could receive an entire foot of snow in a single day. Regardless of its weather, the city had experienced an alarming rate of growth in the last decade due to the discovery of a large iron deposit at the base of the nearby mountains. Combining this discovery with the ability to transport any mined material down the nearby river, many new smiths and miners had flocked to the city.

The appearance of Delsyx and his men had been a surprise to all, not just to those in Levaris, but to everyone on the continent. No one had expected a realm gate to open in the north, much less two of them. Amongst the first cities to fall to Delsyx, Levaris had been attacked out of convenience more than anything. It was now far behind Delsyx's front lines, and the population had abandoned any thoughts of swift liberation. The people of Levaris now only served as a means to help Delsyx supply his men with newly forged weapons.

"What's got you in such a foul mood?" Delsyx asked, looking across the table. Knox got up from his empty plate and pushed in his chair. Most people never looked him in the eyes. His tall figure, combined with his long black hair and red eyes, gave him an intimidating air.

"I remembered why I rarely eat with you," he replied. Delsyx smiled and continued eating while Knox walked over to a fire that was burning where the old altar had been. The church was open on the inside. The church pews had been torn up and used as fuel for the fire. Several stacks of church pews lined the walls, ready to be thrown into the fire as needed. Knox went over to one of the piles. Channeling his luminescence, he pulled out his sword and slashed a pew up into several pieces. After sheathing his sword, he grabbed the pieces and brought them over to the fire. Throwing them in, he warmed himself. Several other tables had been set up and were filled with men who sat eating and drinking, paying little heed to Knox or Delsyx. Torches lined the lower walls along with various religious iconography. Windows that had run along the sides of the church had been completely broken and replaced with large wooden logs stacked together to keep prying eyes from seeing inside.

"Of all the cities to move to, you chose this?"

Delsyx swallowed, then laughed. "Ha, not used to cold weather, are we?" Delsyx had very short brown hair. His Blue eyes rested against his round face that showed he had been gaining weight.

"No," Knox grumbled as he looked into the fire. Snowfall was covering the city, and a cold northern wind was blowing down from the mountains.

"Enjoy some more wine. We won't be here much longer, perhaps three days," Delsyx said with a smile.

"You keep extending our stay," Knox replied, continuing to gaze at the flames.

They both remained quiet for a bit before Knox turned around. "You should have chosen a city further south. Your paranoia has gotten the best of you."

"Quit complaining. I'd like to see you keep a realm gate open. I bet you'd be assassinated on the first day. Give it a try, then we can discuss who's being too careful."

"There are plenty of places back home that-"

"Knox." Delsyx cut him off. "That same 'Home' that you're so fond of is more dangerous than most places on this side of the gate. If we had stayed there, I'd probably be dead by now. The assassination attempts have all but dried up since we've come here. That's less work for you. Really, you should be thanking me." Delsyx turned back to his plate as Knox let out a sigh.

"Did it have to be the frozen mountains?" Knox shouted.

"A place devoid of life is more likely to be devoid of enemies, and the mountains are a wonderful wall. There's no better choice than Levaris."