5: Luck Is Not Lucky

"What- Oh gosh! Quigley!" Violet was overjoyed to see Quigley. Duncan just said "hello." 

"This is a mess. Kit's here to take us." Quigley signaled to the door and Kit Snicket walked in.

"Hello!" Kit was still pregnant. I was excited to get out, but nervous of what could come. I looked to Klaus, who was explaining Quigley's whole existence to Carmelita. Kit gestured out and so we followed. Carmelita stayed though, as she thought V.F.D. was 'dumb'. The car was a tiny little yellow taxi that looked new. Its side mirror was crushed though. We squeezed in. Violet was in the front passenger seat, and I was squeezed into the back with four other people. Violet was lucky. I had Sunny in my lap, Klaus was sharing my seat, and Duncan and Quigley were in the seat next to us. The car started. I gazed out the window, looking for places I remember. 667 Dark Avenue, the hotel Denouement and more, but something was off. Besides the stop sign was a tall man. White hair... Count Olaf... I tapped Klaus so hard I basically punched him.

"Olaf." I said to him. His eyes widened. Klaus' jaw dropped. He told everyone in the car. Kit pulled into a barren parking lot near the back of the bank.

"Excuse me?" Kit said, turning to look Klaus in the eyes. Olaf was coming towards us. He took someone's sunglasses on the way and put them on to disguise him.

"Hello! I see you are parked in an illegal spot; I'll just have to take these kids from your grasp." Olaf said, opening the back door.

Kit glared at him. "It's not illegal!" She said with a hiss. Klaus pulled the door shut but Olaf slid his hand through the space from the window being rolled down. Kit got out and tried to confront Olaf. Klaus rolled the window up on his hand. Olaf shrieked and quickly took his hand out.             "You scream like a girl." Kit said from behind him. Olaf jumped up.

"Thank you." Olaf opened Violet's door and tried to pull her out. Kit ran in front.

"What are you doing you monster?" Kit slid his hand off of Violet's. I ducked down so he wouldn't see me.

"I'm not a monster," Olaf said with a smirk. He approached Kit, "I'm your friend." Kit violently pushed him down as hard as she could.

"I don't need correction." She walked back in the car.

"Kit, what are you doing?" I whispered to her. She smiled.

"Fighting fire with water." She started the car.

"But doesn't-" I started.

"I know. It may not work that well." Kit drove off. 

*+* Violet's POV*+*

We stopped at Kit's house. I had a slight feeling Olaf would end up here, but he wouldn't be able to follow us for miles. Would he...? We all got out the car and went into the house. It was off-white with parts not painted. It definitely needed work - badly. Isadora and I stayed with Kit to show us around while Sunny ate, and the boys played tag in the front yard. I thought Klaus hated tag but, I guess he doesn't.

"You'll sleep in here." Kit said and opened the door to a room with three bunk beds.

"Where are you sleeping?" I asked. Kit paused.

"Next room over." She said to us. She left us on our own. We picked our beds and Isadora wrote poems while I brainstormed ideas for an invention. A few hours later the boys came in and collapsed on their beds.

"Goodnight." I said to them, and I went to bed with them. Isadora was up longer than everyone else. In the middle of the night, she violently shook me.

"What?" I said tiredly.

"I heard a knock on the window."

620 words