7: Jail Is an Unhappy Place

*+* Kit's POV *+*

I ran to where I thought Count Olaf would be - 667 Dark Avenue, his 'girlfriend's' house. He was there, just halfway up the stairs.

"Stairs are out." I heard a snarly voice say coming from two floors up. Olaf caught his breath.

"What?" He said and ran up faster.

"Stairs are out, is what I said dimwit." Presumably Esme said. Olaf made it to the top floor and Esme turned inside her penthouse. I decided to be a flaneur for a little while I was already up there.

"I burned the bookstore down." Olaf said proudly. Esme opened the door. I moved behind so I wouldn't be seen.

"I swear I heard something out there." Esme said. I peered through the peephole. Esme had a parsley soda - which was in. Olaf was sprawled across one couch while Esme was stationed at another. I heard a police car race by.

Finally, people noticed, I thought. I ran to where Violet, Isadora, Klaus, Sunny, Quigley, and Duncan were to tell them I found Olaf. But even though the police are here, they might not catch him.

*+* Violet's POV *+*

I saw and heard a police car race by. I hope they were after Count Olaf. Sunny was nervously gnawing on an apple from a nearby tree. Klaus was trying to figure out where Count Olaf could be.

"But not the bookstore, because that's burning down, not the underground tunnel because he's not going to our house..." Klaus kept listing, and listing, and listing, and listing, and listing, and listing, possible places Count Olaf could be right now.

"Klaus can you shut up for a second?" Isadora said and gave him a book of poetry she brought. Klaus nodded and started to read. Isadora sighed and smiled; her eyes sparkled with the lighting. Kit ran to us, ruining Isadora's perfect lighting.

"He's at 667 Dark Avenue!" She said, slightly out of breath. Suddenly, a police officer ran behind us and towards 667 Dark Avenue, Esme's house that we had to stay in for a dreadful few days. Kit was approached by another police officer.

"What did the suspect look like?" He asked after a short introduction and few questions. 

"White, messy hair, male, tattoo of an eye on his ankle, and he's tall." She quickly answered back without hesitation. The officer nodded and drew a sketch on a pad of paper.

"Like this?" He asked, holding up the sketch like it was a kindergarten art project. Kit analyzed the drawing. She half-nodded, half shook her head.

"He has one eyebrow, but that's all that's wrong." Kit corrected. The officer smiled and thanked Kit and went to tell the other officers what the suspect looked like. Minutes later, we saw them walking Count Olaf inside a police car while Esme cried her heart out.

"He did nothing for you to arrest him!" Esme lied. The officers ignored her and drove off. Esme ran back to her penthouse apartment.

"Woah, Esme's such a liar." Quigley said. He had no clue what Esme was like because he was never in her clutches. I nodded to Quigley.

"You should've been here earlier," I replied. Everyone agreed with me. "Now let's bike back home - or temporary home." Kit chuckled and got on her bike.

"Let's go!" She said and started to go. Isadora, Klaus, Quigley, Duncan and I followed.

550 words