This is Goodbye [5]

Yemi's leaving today, and as I watch the clock tick down the precious remaining hours, a wave of overwhelming sadness washes over me. It feels like time is slipping through my fingers, each passing moment drawing us closer to the inevitable goodbye. The thought of her departing fills me with a sense of loss that seems to echo through the very core of my being.

In these final hours, I grapple with the irrationality of my emotions. After all, I've been through this before - the comings and goings of faces in this place are as constant as the rising and setting of the sun. People enter and exit, leaving behind traces of their presence that fade with time. It's a cycle I've grown accustomed to, one that I've learned to accept as an inherent part of life in this community.

But Yemi... she's different. Her effervescent spirit, her genuine kindness, they've carved a place in my heart that I hadn't realized was hollow until she filled it. Her laughter, her infectious optimism, they've become the light that brightens even the darkest corners of my world. And now, faced with the prospect of her departure, I find myself grappling with a sense of loss unlike any I've experienced before.

It's not just her absence that weighs heavily on my mind, but the void she'll leave behind - a void that can't be filled by the transient connections that come and go in this place. Yemi isn't just another passing face; she's a friend, a confidante, a kindred spirit in a world that often feels devoid of connection. And as the reality of her departure sinks in, I can't help but wonder how I'll navigate the days ahead without her by my side.

In the midst of her packing frenzy, her portion of the room is strewn with an open suitcase, clothing piles, and various items scattered across the floor. The air is filled with a sense of urgency as she meticulously checks and double-checks each item, her movements quick and decisive yet tinged with apprehension.

"Chiharuuu! What if I forget something?!" Her voice carries a hint of panic, her eyes darting around the room as if searching for any overlooked possessions. "What am I gonna do then? I won't be able to come back and get it if I leave it behind! I mean, we're going to a different state!"

As she expresses her worries, she throws her arms around me, seeking comfort in the midst of her uncertainty. A slight crease forms between her eyebrows, and her lips press together in a fretful expression. Sensing her distress, I wrap my arms around her shoulders, pulling her close in a reassuring embrace.

Her embrace tightens, seeking solace in the warmth of our connection. "Don't worry," I murmur softly, the words meant to reassure both her and myself. "We'll go through everything together, and I promise we won't leave anything behind."

We meticulously comb through every nook and cranny of the building, venturing even into the outdoor spaces, ensuring that nothing is overlooked. From the vibrant winterberry and heather in the garden to the sizzling pots in the kitchen, from the gleaming tiles in the bathroom to every corner of the premises, our search is thorough and relentless.

As our exhaustive efforts draw to a close, exhaustion settles over us like a heavy blanket, and we find ourselves slumping together, back-to-back, on the plush comfort of her bed in her shared room.

Taking a moment to catch our breath, I survey the room with weary eyes. The room is vast, with ten sets of bunk beds meticulously arranged around the space. Each bunk is adorned with two large trunks at its foot, housing personal belongings and clothing. The air is infused with a sense of camaraderie, evidenced by the various personal touches scattered around the room - photos taped to the walls, trinkets adorning bedside tables, and the occasional handwritten note left on a bunk.

A uniformity pervades the room, with every bed adorned with a plain light brown blanket and a simple pillow, except for a handful of unoccupied bunks, including Yemi's. Her bed stands bare, devoid of any sheets or blankets, as the fabrics await safekeeping elsewhere until they're needed again. Despite the fatigue weighing heavily upon us, there's a sense of contentment in knowing that every detail has been attended to, ensuring the comfort and safety of all who call this dormitory home.