[8] and by morning we'll be free

"Wait!" Elena stops the boys as they ascend the steps of the church. "I have something for you." She carefully pulls their rosaries from under her shirt and lifts them over her head. Connor's mouth is agape as he wonders why he didn't notice that before. And then the thought of his rosary touching her skin sends another strange rush into his veins. "Because I promised I'd keep them safe," she smiles.

Connor and Murphy smile wide as they hang the rosaries around their necks, feeling complete.

Inside, it's like any other Catholic church, with large stained glass windows that will sparkle with color once the sun comes up and long wooden pews with red padded kneelers. They walk down the aisle, thinking about the last time they did so with Da and Romeo just before they took down the Old Man once and for all. That last time they prayed at the altar before their world ended right before their eyes.

No wonder they needed therapy.

Connor and Murphy stop at the altar, looking up at the large wooden crucifix that reminds them of their old parish. They kneel at Christ's feet, bow their heads, and each whisper their prayers. Connor lifts his head first, staring at the massive holy sculpture with tears threatening to fall down his face. There had been moments in prison that he wasn't sure if they'd ever make it out. There were also moments when he wasn't sure if they should get out. But now that they're out, and his brother is next to him like it's always been, and he feels that depth of faith that Da had talked about, Connor knows deep in his heart that this is where they are meant to be. And no matter what, they're not alone.

Murphy crosses himself and clears his throat, forcing Connor to break out of his trance. They stand and turn to find Elena sitting in a pew, head bowed and whispering something herself. She looks up and moves to rejoin the brothers. "Let's show you around, yeah? There are some friendly faces you'll want to see, I'm sure."

She leads them to the basement, where Duffy and Dolly quickly greet them. The detectives hug Connor and Murphy hard, grinning and genuinely happy to see the Irish twins. The only one missing, of course, is Greenly, and Connor has to laugh at the memory of Greenly's idiotic and vulgar mouth.

Dolly gushes with his hands on his hips, "God, it's great to see you two!"

"Hope you guys are ready for work," Duffy adds, pulling out his trusty notebook.

"Fuck yeah, we are!" Murphy quips as he slaps Dolly's shoulder playfully.

"Alright, well first, we'll fill you in on how things will work," Duffy assures. "This church is where we'll establish the base unless things get too hot, then we'll relocate accordingly. We have several Catholic churches that have agreed to serve as safe houses, as well as some motels and a few residences where the owners are...devout followers if you will."

Connor and Murphy look at each other, impressed. "This is wild, right?" Murphy asks his brother.

Connor nods, realizing he never imagined it would be like this. It used to be just him and Murph, winging it and miraculously pulling it off. "Aye. How the hell did we get here?"

Dolly raises a finger with a smirk growing on his face. "Um, didn't Jensen give you a ride?" Connor shoves Dolly with a laugh, telling him to shut his mouth.

Dolly smiles wide and crosses his arms. "Actually, on that note, transportation. We'll rotate you between several cars...you know, to stay incognito." The drawl he puts on the last word causes the twins to giggle.

Murphy, smiling, hides his face on Connor's shoulder. "This fucking guy."

"Your first car is nothing too flashy. Black Ford to start." He hands Connor the car key, adding that they will switch the plates after each job.