[28] headlights on the hillside

When she first established her cover as the court-ordered therapist, Elena studied the boys' files carefully, looking at what she was getting herself into. Their mugshots that were stapled to each respective manila folder somehow captured the weird mix of grief and hubris each brother felt at that moment of their arrest. They had just lost their father and their freedom and were close to losing their friend Romeo, yet they still exuded a strong sense of self-righteousness. Somehow, they still seemed to believe in what they felt they were called to do.

All she had to do was play the part, see how they were doing, and report back to Smecker. Instead, Elena wanted to dig her way into their brains, see if she could find God hiding in the two Irish lads who killed evil men. "Be careful what ye ask for," her mother had always told her...and it sure as fuck applied in that moment the boys started to open up. Elena just didn't know it yet.

She quickly shifts her eyes between Connor and Murphy, a sinking feeling coming over her as they work out what to do now that Obsidian has framed the Saints for the death of a New York City Police Officer...the death of Johnny Beck.

Obsidian had waited to leak the fabricated story, proving that they could go in and clean up what happened at Saint Christopher's without raising suspicion. Seemed Beck was right to assume their power went deeper than a typical mob boss.

Elena had seen other splinter groups within government agencies, but they consistently failed to gain much traction before eventually getting caught. And none of them were colluding with organized crime factions like Obsidian. No, she had never seen a group so capable of creating a narrative that slipped through the cracks. A narrative fueled by more and more curious characters, like that guy running for Congress. A narrative no one paid any attention to until the Saints got involved.

Connor leans his fists against the table, newspapers, notes, and evidence spread out in front of him. Each headline marks a trail of Obsidian's suspected influence.

SAINTS WANTED FOR MURDER OF NYPD DETECTIVE

SEX TRAFFICKING ON THE RISE, POLICE UNABLE TO DETAIN SUSPECTS

NEW BRAND OF HEROIN KILLING ADDICTS IN NYC

HAWKINS, CONGRESS LOOKING TO PASS "ANTI-VIGILANTE" BILL TO DETER SAINTS COPYCATS

CATHOLICS AFRAID TO ATTEND MASS FOLLOWING CHURCH VIOLENCE SPREE

"It's never going to stop unless we do something," Connor states firmly, with everyone nodding their heads in agreement.

That stubborn sense of justice suddenly tastes different. Elena's chest grows tighter, and she reaches out to touch the boys lightly on their arms, forcing the words out of her mouth. "I need to talk to you. Both of you."

The twins look at Elena with concern, then back to each other as they nod slightly with raised eyebrows, speaking their silent language again.

She leads them into the hallway, looking over their shoulders to ensure no one else is within earshot. The lump in her throat threatens her ability to whisper, but she has to say something. "If you do this, if you go after Obsidian, you'll have targets on your backs for the rest of your lives."

"We already do," Connor starts, his eyes strangely accepting of what they have become.

"Aye, not to mention our little prison escape," Murphy adds.

Elena shakes her head. "No, this is bigger than that. This is bigger than the mafia framing you for murder. This is bigger than all of us."

The dark-haired twin looks so sure of himself and his brother. "We can take care of it."