Chapter Fourteen

Crime and punishment

Letum

We must talk. Right now," I demanded quietly into Baleruhb's ear. The mentor eyed me from head to toes alarmingly, but agreed.

"I have to depart for an indefinite time. Ferin," he pointed at a newly-born regent with ebony skin, "if you please, take over for me. Thank you. Let us go, Letum."

Baleruhb shut the door of his study, making sure our privacy would not be disturbed, and turned to face me.

"What is wrong?" he asked with a fraction of distress.

I was pacing the room, having no idea what to start with. I could not keep it anymore because it was what my life depended on.

"Baleruhb," I started my monologue, never pausing measuring the roomy study by steps, "do you remember I once wondered whether there was a chance of existence of a fleshy who would be capable of communication with regents?"

His mouth opened and shut and opened again. I certainly stunned the mentor. "Do not tell me that this fleshy truly lives and you concealed the fact of it," the menacing tone of this sentence convulsed my very skeleton.

It was exactly what I had done, and the original compassed it by the changes in my appearance at the mentioning of hiding the very important to our kin information. Baleruhb stroked the nape of his neck.

"Let me finish my narration," I asked, "please. There is more than that."

The regent's eyes widened, nevertheless, he nodded.

"Before you continue, I need a glass of viburnum wine. Do you want one as well?"

I needed it no less than him.

Under the murmur of wine running flow my voice seemed muffled, "Her name is Hope Hill. I forgot to guide the soul of William Harrison because something pierced my guts when I was passing by her ward. I could not control myself and entered the room to find her lie on the couch almost tranquilized. I would have chalked her behavior up to delirium if her speech had not been addressed right to me." I told him everything that had happened after and did not omit a single detail, "that is why I have been occupied by exploring the ancient scrolls and handwritings in the Main Library since then. I was and still am searching for a rational explanation under the guide of implementation of your request and I am sorry for this." Actually, my flow of words had one lacking fact where Dante had discovered the manuscript, containing the biography of the deathly regent called Tristania and her discovery in the face of Kasimira, and had passed it on to me. It seemed wise to me for no reason. "I found nothing worthwhile, and I decided not to stop my search. I asked a grimalkin to check on the manuscripts of before the Deathly Battle era. So silly of me, I know, but better double-check than missing."

The mentor was sitting in his armchair with poker face on. His emotions were hard to identify.

"That was when a call of duty distracted me, and I followed the protocol of this case as usual–went to the world of living through the portal. And then I opened my eyes in the room to get appalled at the fleshy that came to my view. The same fleshy I had talked to at the abode a few fleshy days ago. She was holding a bottle with unknown pills in sufficient quantity for overdosage. Hope removed the entire pack on her palm and was going to swallow them."

Baleruhb was watching me intently, having the idea in his mind of what would be next in my story. He took a sip of the scarlet wine and it went down his throat with a pop.

"I stopped her."

The original arched his thick eyebrow, "You broke the vow to your kind. do you realize it?"